I ride a 3000 dollar pedal racing bike but....

I have ordered from GEBE a kit with the Robin/Subaru 35cc engine four stroke and there very beefy 105g rear wheel. My pal says that no civilized person should ever have to mix gas and oil! Total cost 743 dollars. Some here on this forum would say that this is a lot but we shall see. I will post both pro and con of this kit. Me thinks that ya get what ya pay for! And I am not a fan of some of these cheap china pollution machines that are out there on the net that mix oil and gas at 20/1 or less. Heck the cost of the oil will cost ya more than the gas!
It should get to me with in a week I am told from GEBE. The build will be soon. I will post pictures and comments on my Blog.
And as always these are personal opinions and who gives a dam what I think anyway?
There is no right or wrong here just getting from point A to point B in as cheap a way and as a dependable way as possible.
That is what my choices about motored bicycles are all about!
You can agree or disagree but please supply facts.
Thanks

Kevin

Last edited:
There is no right or wrong here just getting from point A to point B in as cheap a way and as a dependable way as possible.
That is what my choices about motored bicycles are all about!
You can agree or disagree but please supply facts.

Well, even facts can be experiments, lol.

I think you might have raised the ire of some with your subject line by including the price tag, seems like boasting. Now, anyone with an open eye on today's cycle market knows $3K is only middling ground, either road or MTB. There are good reasons for it too and once you go there it's hard to ever look back at what comes from the department stores.

But, that's beyond many peoples budget. For that reason I always suggest decent used over just about anything new from the big box stores.

I think you'll be pleased with what you've got coming. I've tried just about every engine available for MBs and at the very least I'd be surprised if you didn't like the R/S engine. It's become my favorite regardless of the drive it's used on. Over the years it's become my opinion also that about $1K is what it takes minimally for a dependable and safe MB, so it seems you're right on track with that. Good luck with your new bike.

BTW, what's the url of your blog?

Well, even facts can be experiments, lol.

I think you might have raised the ire of some with your subject line by including the price tag, seems like boasting. Now, anyone with an open eye on today's cycle market knows $3K is only middling ground, either road or MTB. There are good reasons for it too and once you go there it's hard to ever look back at what comes from the department stores.

But, that's beyond many peoples budget. For that reason I always suggest decent used over just about anything new from the big box stores.

I think you'll be pleased with what you've got coming. I've tried just about every engine available for MBs and at the very least I'd be surprised if you didn't like the R/S engine. It's become my favorite regardless of the drive it's used on. Over the years it's become my opinion also that about $1K is what it takes minimally for a dependable and safe MB, so it seems you're right on track with that. Good luck with your new bike.

BTW, what's the url of your blog?

I really agree with ya on this post! Not bragging at all about my pedal bike.
And your right about that bike being in the mid price range for a good road bike! And my personal and family budget is kind of tight so these motored bikes I think will become very popular.
And for my motored bike its a 1989 Gary Fisher mountain bike and its well used!
My Blog: www.thekettle-morainebiker.blogspot.com
Not a whole lot on there other than stuff about ultra cycling.
If you go over to GEBE's site most of there customer reviews are on department store bikes and used mb's like mine!

Just to put things in perspective about cycling culture I was at the bike shop yesterday and my pal that owns the shop was building up a Niner full carbon mountain bike frame set into a single speed mountain bike. All super high end parts and wheels. Mike told me that his cost was close to 4000 dollars on this build. I asked him what full retail would be and he replied close to 6000 dollars. wow!
There is some serious disposeable income out there still even in this bad economy!
but mid market for a race ready bike is around 3000 dollars but you can get a great road bike for 800 to 1000 dollars.
For motored bikes I would check out Craigs list and go used mountain bike or hybrid. going rate for a used bike is 55% of full retail or less.
If you can tinker with bikes get an old steel framed mountain bike. These will go cheap and these frames are really well made and will work out perfect for motorizing. I am talking department store kind of cheap!
Also check out rummage sales. I always see used bikes for like 25 or 50 bucks.
My 21 year old Fisher is worth like 50 or a 100 bucks on the used market.

Kevin

KevinK,
Cycling is a wonderful way to move the human race.
I recently built a MB & like you pedal my other bikes (unmotored).
I pedal approx 200 miles/week (one of my three road bikes, two of them are fixed gear-triathlon setups)
I use the MB more as a toy (go pick up a burrito or mail something at the Post Office or just get away from working on the computer for a half hour or so & go for a blast)
I love reading on here about how our other members use their MB's for long distance adventures & commuting. Perhaps one day...
Bike It!!!
-lowracer-

KevinK,
Cycling is a wonderful way to move the human race.
I recently built a MB & like you pedal my other bikes (unmotored).
I pedal approx 200 miles/week (one of my three road bikes, two of them are fixed gear-triathlon setups)
I use the MB more as a toy (go pick up a burrito or mail something at the Post Office or just get away from working on the computer for a half hour or so & go for a blast)
I love reading on here about how our other members use their MB's for long distance adventures & commuting. Perhaps one day...
Bike It!!!
-lowracer-

Hey lowracer,

Times be a little tough so I plan on about 70 miles per day on a commute!
My Gary Fisher weighs in at 26 lbs and the GEBE kit is a little under 14 lbs so I will be a bit under 40 lbs for this bike.
The wheels and frame set are rock solid so we shall see what happens.
The bike already has fenders and lights and road slicks on it. Its ready for when the GEBE kit hits my door step.
I will post over on the rack mounted forum of this build. I think that there will be absolutely nothing special about it. Just a routine build of an old MTB with one of GEBE's kits.
BTW I saw that Ti bike of yours with that motor on it. Way way way cool!
I am rarely ever going to mention pedaling a bike on this forum again. Only what I do on a motored bicycle. I simply don't see a reason to.
Thanks for your support....

Kevin

Back