Safety imo, hand-signals are "better than nothing"

Yea the DFW area Traffic

Is the pit's !!!! So many folks killed around here every day, It's pure carnage..
Our Auto insurance is the highest in the nation becuse of the losses..
Most of it is Alcohol related...

There have been so many people killed from wrong way drivers on the freeway at 2 AM. They put up all kinds of signs, light's, reflectors etc...
To no avail .....

All of the above wrong way crashes were Alcohol releated...

90 % of the folks on the road at 2AM are wasted !!! Thats a fact...

If you want to get wasted stay at home !!!!!

Happy, that was tongue in cheek. Really. I can understand how you feel since I was on a volunteer fire dept. in the early 70's. There was no joy in getting a call at 3 AM and having to go and get some one out of a car, piece at a time.

Grad night we slept in the fire hall. Not good having to deal with parents at 6 AM who wanted to come and see where it happened and we were still cleaning up. I had to help pick up a few kids in town over the years.

I always felt that anyone who was caught drunk driving should be made to go on those calls and pick up the kids toys off the road and then pick up the kids. Not once but many times. If they did drink again they would be at home or make sure they had a ride with someone sober.

Even the old timers would at times go behind the trucks and you would hear them. Spent a fair bit of time there myself.

The worst one? All of them.

Steve.

But the people around here (Dallas TX and suburbs) are idiot drivers. It feels like I live in a lesser country where people just zoom around oblivious to any traffic structure.
QUOTE]

Happy speaks the truth. I can tell when I enter Dallas County that there is a different mentality on the road. Strange thing is that in Ft. Worth there is a more laid back attitude. I drive daily all over the region due to my job. It seems that in Dallas hand signals are mostly connected with Gang signs....in Ellis and south people will still wave at you as the meet you on the road. (in a car going 65)
Advice....avoid Dallas county if possible.

Typical Dallas Insect/driver

MRMAGOOCARCOLORCROP.jpg

re: hand signals gang signs etc

I took up the suggestion someone here had of using the thumb when making right turn signals.

This has not fared well for me. People either ignore it and/or cut me off on the right.

And one guy thought I was signalling him to "pull over", to which his response was a repeated gesture of cocking a handgun and blowing smoke off the barrel (his index finger).

It was a country looking white guy in a chevy pickup, not really someone I'd guess was in "gangs", really. But the threat was real enough.

Be careful out there.

Quote:

Happy speaks the truth. I can tell when I enter Dallas County that there is a different mentality on the road. Strange thing is that in Ft. Worth there is a more laid back attitude. I drive daily all over the region due to my job. It seems that in Dallas hand signals are mostly connected with Gang signs....in Ellis and south people will still wave at you as the meet you on the road. (in a car going 65)
Advice....avoid Dallas county if possible.[/QUOTE]

Wow! That sounds like "Easy Rider"! Here in SF, I ride at night for my commute stopping at all stop signs and red lights using the bicycle lanes as required by city ordinance and maintain a meger speed while using hand signals the whole way. I've had a lot of police officers point and laugh at me so far and a few who just wanted to check out my ride asking questions on how to build one. :)

Getting laughed at doesn't hurt, but getting hurt is nothing to laugh at. Maybe you can make friends with them after a while.

Back