Is Top Speed THAT important?

if you really think about it, having good brakes is more important that having a high top speed.
yeah, the bike is fast, but can you stop it?
just like those morons in 4 wheel drive trucks during a snowstorm. they pass everyone on the road because they have 4 wheel drive.
but, about a mile down the road, there they are in the ditch because they couldn't stop the truck.

if you really think about it, having good brakes is more important that having a high top speed.
just like those morons in 4 wheel drive trucks during a snowstorm. they pass everyone on the road because they have 4 wheel drive.
but, about a mile down the road, there they are in the ditch because they couldn't stop the truck.

Brakes are not the only factor in that. Decent tires play a role too. If they would spend some coin on some decent snow tires instead of the crappy all-seasons that most people opt to buy.

I resemble that remark.

All vehicles are equal with the brakes locked.
Seems like they accelerate on the ice!
Absolutely NO control.
Inertia and gravity.

Yah, that was me, again...
rc

I very much agree! See, torque is the main thing for me. Any hill on the road I can take, doing it in not a embarrasing way..........................................

Uno, no matter what, it's still made in CHINA?

You guys are GREAT!
This thread has brought me a whole bunch of valuable things to consider.

I got in 6 more bikes day before yesterday, in response to my craigslist ad to recycle unwanted old bikes... None were serviceable, but I now am pleased to have a pretty good selection of brakes which I definitely shall use. I got caliper, center pull, V brakes, one cable-pull disk brake, and a bulldog. Now to determine which might work best.

I'm one of those people on a low budget, (Do you hear the Kinks playing in the background?). Actually, I got NO budget and frequently gotta wait 'til something usable comes down the path...

When running a coaster brake, I have had the drive chain break, or fall off, when pedaling, and when trying to brake, over the years of running less-than-optimal gear.

I'm more conservative now, in my old age, and will be sure to have both front and rear brakes in good working order.

Thanks to all who have contributed !

rc

Go for it, rc, but in a safe manner! All that I say is not to disrespect anyone here. We all share the same joy of motorized bicycling.

To prepare for the day that the chain would fall off my bike at motor speed, I practiced rubbing my boots on the sidewalls of my front tire with the bike going 20 mph.. It stopped the bike okay, but wore a hole in the sides of my boots!

On the way home from work, I ride up a moderate hill alongside traffic at 30-35mph. On this hill is a plateau where my MB hits up to 40 mph for several hundred yards. Then there's a steep descent where 40 mph drops to a complete stop, just before the bottom of the hill. A set of 203 mm front and rear replaced the OEM discs, but the stock brakes were good enough.

Brakes first!

Last edited by a moderator:
Back