laws on motor assited bicyles

Apparently in Illinois, they are not regulated; the only matter is that they fall under the power/speed restrictions of mopeds.

In Illinois, a motorized bicycle does not qualify as a moped and cannot be registered as one--I spcifically asked if I could register a bicycle as a moped and they told me (twice) that I could not.
Therefore, there is no registration or insurance required.

If it has an engine that would fall under the moped restrictions, then there is no question of needing a license at all either--because in Illinois, mopeds do not require any specific license endorsement to operate; you only must hold any other valid Illinois drivers' license. (-I dunno what they do for someone who has no license at all yet and only wants a moped, but anyway-) The email in which the DMV told me this did not say if motorized bicycles were prohibited or not.

I emailed the local county police and noted that the IL DMV had already said that they did not require registration, insurance or licensing, and asked if motorized bicycle riders would be ticketed for anything other than unsafe operation, and the county police's only response was that "the Illinois secretary of state is the authority on what vehicles may be used on Illinois roads". The email in which the county police told me this did not say if motorized bicycles were prohibited or not.

The definition of "bicycle" used in the current IL motor vehicle code says "... Every device propelled by human power upon which any person may ride, having two tandem wheels except scooters and similar devices. ...". It does not state that a bicycle is propelled exclusively by human power. In other sections it is stated that a "scooter" is considered to be a motor cycle with between 50 and 150cc's displacement, so a <49cc motorized bicycle doesn't qualify as a scooter. There is no section of the current code (on the IL general assembly website) that has any mention of any vehicle that would equate to a motorized bicycle, with either an internal-combustion engine or an electric motor.

Given that the DMV nor the county police seems to be able to dig up any law that says they're not, my guess is that motorized bicycles (using "moped-legal" engines) are legal for street use in IL, simply because they aren't regulated under the current motor vehicle code. They are still classified as bicycles despite having engines, and bicycles are street-legal.
-----------------
I will also note that according to the IL DMV, they ONLY title and register "motor vehicles". Just because a "thing" has an engine doesn't make it technically a "motor vehicle". To obtain a title, a "motor vehicle" must have a standardized 17-digit VIN issued by the federal government, and must have either an existing title already, or it must have a "manufacturer's certificate of origin". To be registered for street use, the manufacturer's certificate of origin must state that the vehicle is roadworthy according to federal standards for that vehicle type.

If a "thing" has a motor but no VIN, then it is a "consumer product" and not recognized by the IL Sec of State at all. It is also not street-legal (such as pocket bikes) but the kicker here is that bicycles are street legal,,, and there's no indication that putting an engine onto a bicycle causes it to be classified as anything other than a bicycle.

You cannot claim to be the manufacturer and make up your own VIN--they are assigned by the federal gov't, and falsifying one is a crime in itself.

There is a section in the IL motor vehicle code that mentions that (paraphrasing) "...if a vehicle does not have a VIN, the IL DMV will issue it one..."--but this is ONLY for antique and vintage vehicles. They will NOT issue a VIN to a new vehicle, as it should already have a VIN--this is only a measure to allow grandfathering vintage and antique vehicles.

There is also a part where it says that the DMV may also drop the requirement for a certificate of origin when obtaining a first title on an antique or vintage vehicle, if you can present evidence that the vehicle was considered roadworthy when it was manufactured. Once again--they will NOT drop this requirement for new vehicles--it is only a measure to allow grandfathering vintage and antique vehicles.

....Bicycles of course do not come with 17-digit federal VIN's, and they would not pass roadworthiness standards (at the least, for their wheels/tires/headlight/rear light/brake-actuated light). The IL DMV does not consider them to be equivalent to mopeds at all.
~

Re: laws on motor assisted bicyles

andrewflores17 said:
does anyone now what the law is in colorado and maybe a website where i could find it ive looked but can only find stuff on mopeds
Where did you look?
The entire Colorado revised statutes are available online.

Go to the Colorado General Assembly website ( http://www.leg.state.co.us/ ), hit the link on the left that says "CO Revised Statutes", click on the link in the left panel that says "Title 42 Vehicles and Traffic", and then search for "motorized bicycles".
~

re: Colorado law

I mentioned somewhere that I saw 50 regular bikes, no engines, going up the interstate from Denver to StateBridge, first time I ever saw pedaling bikes on an Interstate.
THUS- I would assume Colorado to be THE LEAST WORRIED ABOUT YOU AND YOUR BIKE, they are very busy chasing BMW's and Jaguars in those Alpine villages.
Advise? play it by ear, take the warning ticket and tell us when it happens, surely we can nip it, nip it in the bud......

Give no quarter, take no grief.....

CRS states Motorized bicycle. What we are riding are NOT motorized Bicycles. IF you look in the CRS, you will see what the target is, GOPED. That is a motorized bicycle. That is, Two wheels and the only mode of propulsion is a motor. A motorized Bicycle is just that. A motorized bicycle from the start, and its sole function is to be propelled by a motor. PEriod. This Law in Colorado was enacted after the motorized skate boards went crazy and were found everywhere so a law was made to put a stop to them from being on the road. Probably a good thing. The Pocket rockets were also a target. Here is what I have found. I have found classes for Motor Assisted Bicycles, Motorized Bicycles, Mopeds, Scooters, and motorcycles. They are and have been classified in States like NY. You can do a search and find it for yourself. My Point is.... These are bicycles first. Then you added the motor to assist you. Thus..Motor assisted bicycle. To class them as a motorized bicycle is incorrect. Since I have found in Boulder Colorado and NY State has classes for them. But also what I know is, If you make the cop mad, he will make a class for you and write your butt up , If he wants to. I have been by at least 400 cops in the past several years on my MAB "motor assisted bicycle" and have never had any trouble...At all...thanks...Enjoy the ride...

thatsdax said:
CRS states Motorized bicycle. What we are riding are NOT motorized Bicycles. IF you look in the CRS, you will see what the target is, GOPED. .....
The different states use their own terms, there is no set terminology except for those vehicles that the federal government has created standards for (one of which is e-bikes).

I tried to get to the Colorado dept of motor vehicles ( http://www.mv.state.co.us/ ) and the server never responded--but you would need to call them (or maybe the website will work again?) and find out what the registratin requirements are exactly.

I'd rather NOT have the federal government set up classifications for motorized bicycles at all; because of the federal e-bike standards, those bicycles are limited from what they can easily do (20 MPH top speed?). I'd rather have NO classifications and have any bicycle that you attach a "moped-class" engine to still be classified as a bicycle. Then the states can make their own laws as they see fit.
~

bamabikeguy said:
re: Colorado law
I mentioned somewhere that I saw 50 regular bikes, no engines, going up the interstate from Denver to StateBridge, first time I ever saw pedaling bikes on an Interstate.......
Yes--in some western/southwest states it's legal to ride on the interstates--basically because, there aren't any secondary roads between many points.
~

I just looked at the rules in Alaska. Here's what I came up with:

Definition:
(17) "motor-driven cycle" means a motorcycle, motor scooter, motorized bicycle, or similar conveyance with a motor attached and having an engine with 50 or less cubic centimeters of displacement;

5) a motorcycle or a motor-driven cycle ...................... $60;

License (Exceptions to license requirement):
(6) a person who is at least 16 years of age with a valid driver's license from a jurisdiction other than Alaska while driving a motor-driven cycle; however, an Alaska driver's license for driving a motor-driven cycle must be obtained by the end of a 90-day period after entering the state;

This is all really interesting in light of the fact that everyone in this tiny town seems to think that you don't need a license for any kind of conveyance with less than a 50cc motor. That includes the police. I don't think I will disabuse them of the notion.

'dere ya go...here we wear dot helmets, have full-time lights, use hand-signals, & obey lane rules...

in other words, we look legal :)

all the local law does is smile & wave when we pass each other 8)

I had contacted the department of motor vehicle in montgomery,Al they said a bicycle was still street legal provided :

Back