Locating Electronic problems

I woke up in the middle of the night from a dream I had in which I solved the problem ! (This happens to me a lot).It's all become much clearer.The reason your ignition failed is that you fried a portion of the generator coil when you developed the short,this opened up the winding resulting in an open circuit to ground (the black wire).so no voltage was being applied by the blue wire to the CDI unit,therefore no spark,UNLESS you restored the connection by shorting out the open portion of the winding!!.It was pretty stupid of me not to realize this right away,anyway better late than never.I assume that the CDI unit has given up the ghost now,but that may well have been unrelated to your previous incident.I suspect that the design of the CDI is marginal (not enough margin on high voltage components,that fail over time due to gradual breakdown of insulation).The output pulse transformer is esp. vulnerable.At least we now understand the anatomy of the problem.

I'm about to purchase a new CDI (ignition modual) but some of the vendors don't carry them from what Ive seen. Can someone please direct me to a cheap CDI unit?
Thanks
Austin

Back