Longest Living Robin/Subaru

#1 -- Robin proven mountain ROCK HARD

#2 -- just run them dry and then store them -- simple -- but works fine

as we ride those THINGS
Thanks guys. I used to run my outboards dry after every use but didn't think of it with a MB ... maybe because I never did this between rides on my motorcycles. Is there a shut off valve between the tank and carb on the Robins?

yes -- many will tell you

Esteban,
That's what I call longevity (is the warranty still good?! lol). I wonder how much running it dry between uses had to do with it.? Sounds like a good idea ... to keep the varish out. That might not be practical on a MB but maybe adding a little Stabil to each tankfull would have the same effect.?

Thanks for the input. I love hearing how good these motors are.

yes -- many will tell you

to use all of those Stabil THINGS won't hurt anyTHING

but -- after 32 years working with small engins with the City
repair and operator
we never used Stabil products when stored
just (simple) run all gas from system

and please remember to always have MUCH FUN as we

store and ride those THINGS

Is there a shut off valve between the tank and carb on the Robins?
No, but the fuel line connection on the carb is so handy, you should be able to easily disconnect it, let the gas in the hose run back into the tank, and let the motor run dry. I've never done this, though, as I never go more than a few days without RIDING THAT THING. Mine has over 5000 miles on it and feels like it's just getting broken in!

No, but the fuel line connection on the carb is so handy, you should be able to easily disconnect it, let the gas in the hose run back into the tank, and let the motor run dry. I've never done this, though, as I never go more than a few days without RIDING THAT THING. Mine has over 5000 miles on it and feels like it's just getting broken in!

Thanks az. Did you have to do any maintainence along the way ... such as tightening head bolts after break-in, tune ups, etc.?

I think those things are designed to be maintenance-free. The engine is surrounded by a plastic shroud, and I've never even felt like taking it off! I've looked at the air cleaner several times, but the element still looks like it did when new (it's facing backwards, so no road stuff gets into it). I give the dipstick a sniff once in a while, and change the oil when it starts to smell a little "burnt", I'm probably on my second quart of oil by now, 15 months later. Guess I should look at the manual sometime and see if they even recommend any maintenance!

coming up on a couple of thousand miles now

noTHING bolts or anyTHING coming loose or tightening ever so far

had ONE SLIGHT PROBLEM at around the 500 mile mark
noticed my Robin engine was just a little slower
maybe 2 mph slower
I am thinking oh no not a malfunction of my #1 THING -- don't tell my wife
after buying a new spark plug -- for no reason
I realized that I had filled the THING with my 2-stroke gas used for other THINGS
once burned up -- back up to my high speed of 22.5 -- don't forget the .5

ride that THING

coming up on a couple of thousand miles now

noTHING bolts or anyTHING coming loose or tightening ever so far

had ONE SLIGHT PROBLEM at around the 500 mile mark
noticed my Robin engine was just a little slower
maybe 2 mph slower
I am thinking oh no not a malfunction of my #1 THING -- don't tell my wife
after buying a new spark plug -- for no reason
I realized that I had filled the THING with my 2-stroke gas used for other THINGS
once burned up -- back up to my high speed of 22.5 -- don't forget the .5

ride that THING

I thought sure I'd hear some horror stories by now but these Robins just keep sounding better and better ... hope they don't run out of 'em before I can build a bike!

Esteban,
That's what I call longevity (is the warranty still good?! lol). I wonder how much running it dry between uses had to do with it.? Sounds like a good idea ... to keep the varish out. That might not be practical on a MB but maybe adding a little Stabil to each tankfull would have the same effect.?

Thanks for the input. I love hearing how good these motors are.

I have always run my 2 strokes til they run out of gas. On the weedeater, I know it so well, I can estimate how much gas it needs for the job. If there is still some in its tank at the end of the job, I turn the motor off, & pour it into a tin can & just pour it into my old truck. Doesn't hurt anything. Then, I restart the weedeater, put it on the ground & go off a leave it running. When it stops, I store it. Every Spring, I put in fresh mix of gas, clean/replace plug, & it starts withing 4-5 pulls.
Nasty old gas is the worst enemy of these engines !
On the MB, suck excess gas out with a " turkey baster," restart & let it run dry.

Last edited:
Thanks for the thread guys. You've convinced me that a robin is the best choice of engine when I mod my girlfriends bike. Thanks a bunch!

Bottom Line

Thanks for the thread guys. You've convinced me that a robin is the best choice of engine when I mod my girlfriends bike. Thanks a bunch!

BOTTOM LINE

yes -- realizing that for some there may be a money issue
causing them to lean towards other THINGS

for those that can afford a ROBIN (which are not really that expensive)
and seem to run forever
haven't heard of ANY bad experience
and if like myself
perfer the ride over tinkering around with my engine

it only makes sense to buy quality

won't mention names -- because many are Happy with some others
but -- I can't understand buying someTHING that may be trouble
and will not be long lasting

because all I really want to do is -- ride that THING

Back