Longest Living Robin/Subaru

Whats 400 or so bucks considering all the joy these machines can bring. I hear some people spend thousands to take their family to disney world or a cruise... for what? Several days of rides and a good frisking before re-boarding the plane? No thanks. I don't need to go through security checkpoints before I RIDE THAT THING!
:)

it's the truth -- brings to mind

Whats 400 or so bucks considering all the joy these machines can bring. I hear some people spend thousands to take their family to disney world or a cruise... for what? Several days of rides and a good frisking before re-boarding the plane? No thanks. I don't need to go through security checkpoints before I RIDE THAT THING!
:)

brings to mind a little while back

little wife THING and I went to the big island -- Kona
yes -- I agree -- traveling is a pain in the mountain rear end
but when I got there -- very beautiful -- great MB roads
all I could think of was -- wish I had my motor bike THING here

in the middle of the sweet Kona night there was heard a scream
Mountainman hollered out I love that THING
his wife said I love you too as she whispered in his ear
Mountainman said I'll never leave you my motor bike dear

couldn't wait to get back on the plane towards home
didn't get lucky with the wife THING for a very long time !!

at least I still had my motor bike so as to ride that other THING

BOTTOM LINE

yes -- realizing that for some there may be a money issue
causing them to lean towards other THINGS

for those that can afford a ROBIN (which are not really that expensive)
and seem to run forever
haven't heard of ANY bad experience
and if like myself
perfer the ride over tinkering around with my engine

it only makes sense to buy quality

won't mention names -- because many are Happy with some others
but -- I can't understand buying someTHING that may be trouble
and will not be long lasting

because all I really want to do is -- ride that THING

Ditto Mountainman. Better to save up if necessary and buy quality in the beginning. Broke down on the side of the road takes all the fun out of tinkering!

Ditto Mountainman. Better to save up if necessary and buy quality in the beginning. Broke down on the side of the road takes all the fun out of tinkering!

You don't get the "cool" factor when your pushing or pedaling your baby home either.

Duralube?

Has anyone ever tried adding Duralube (or equivalent) to these little 4-storkes? After break-in, of course.

MikeM,
As if you don't already have enough reasons to go with the Subaru, let me chime in too.
DO IT! You won't be sorry. While I've had problems with my bike and I don't ride much anymore, the motor has been SUPERIOR. From day1, right out-o-the-box, it has been a winner. Tip: get one now; run it about 15-20 min./day; and by time you're ready to build your THING, it'll be broken in and you can--ride that--THING like you stole it!. HAHA
Seriously, though, I can't say enough good about that motor. I'm building a new heavier duty bike from the ground up and that Subaru friction drive will be installed with a chain drive and CVT transmission. But, as a friction drive with a 1-1/8" roller; 100lb commuter bike (with all tools, battery/lighting system, racks, baskets and a 200lb ME, it cruised at 20-22MPH; top speed-27; highest recorded speed (for what it's worth)35 with tailwind,slight decline--FRIGHTENING!!!
Mechanically: Oaky, I'm a little anal about changing oil. Every 2-4 weeks depending on use. But, with such a small amount, a quart goes a long way. Early on, after about 200 or so miles, my engine would bog down on a long hill climb, and even got to pinging. 1st I tried higher octane gas. Worked but sometimes would bog. Next, air filter modification. I removed the paper?? element behind the foam one and it seemed to breath a bit better.
Then I got to messing with timing and valves. Advancing the cam gear +1 or -1 tooth--GARBAGE;ran like poop. Valve lash tinkering--BINGO!!! When I checked the valve gap, the factory settings were waaaaay off! There was NO GAP AT ALL!!! On either valve. Set to the manual specs; some better but not perfect. Being a bit of a 'twiddlefreak' I began messing with the valve lash and found that the engine ran best with the exhaust valve at 1/2 the factory (or .08) and the intake AT the factory setting. Long story short--never a problem again. Seems at the factory setting I was getting a bit of valve float on the exhaust side at WOT. Back to regular 87 oct. gas and no problems anywhere/anytime. Not saying this would work for all motors. You may have to do your own experimentation. But don't be afraid to with this engine. It's easy as pie.
Can't wait to get my next bike in shape and install the SUPERU motor. At only 1.6HP, it's a tried and true motor.
Sorry for the long post; hope--THIS helps.
WC

Thanks WC ... no problem on the long post ... I enjoyed it. I'm almost positive this will be the motor I get. Can't think of why not! Everybody has praise for it. Sounds like we're about the same size (I'm a touch over 200) so I'm glad to hear it does so well for you.

Thanks again for the input ... very encouraging.

Back