Lost Air filter, gained mph! Too much air?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Local time
6:11 PM
Hey my air filter box fell off on a short ride. Lost couldn't find it. Noticed it was gone after I noticed I was running like a smashed cat. I had coincidentally ordered a new one hours before. One that would fit the frame. I had made one from some tin, four sheets of window screen and a hose clamp. Quick fix
The gain in speed, sound and general performance is awesome. But will I damage any thing.

Maybe, maybe not. It's straight access to the inside of your engine for any potentially damaging foreign matter so I wouldn't risk it.

Maybe, maybe not. It's straight access to the inside of your engine for any potentially damaging foreign matter so I wouldn't risk it.
I made a filter box. Sort of like the old one. Some tin for a cone and some window screen.

Hey my air filter box fell off on a short ride. Lost couldn't find it. Noticed it was gone after I noticed I was running like a smashed cat. I had coincidentally ordered a new one hours before. One that would fit the frame. I had made one from some tin, four sheets of window screen and a hose clamp. Quick fix
The gain in speed, sound and general performance is awesome. But will I damage any thing.
I've done that more than twice...

Did you pull the plug and see if you were running lean? If the carb was jetted with the air cleaner in place you just change the air fuel mix... Buy a uni foam filter. little resistance and great filtering and very forgiving of bending around stuff.

Did you pull the plug and see if you were running lean? If the carb was jetted with the air cleaner in place you just change the air fuel mix... Buy a uni foam filter. little resistance and great filtering and very forgiving of bending around stuff.
Of course you get leaner unless you had an excellent filter to start with, so I would end up jetting higher to compensate.

Foam might actually be the way to go, especially in tight frames, I like the full filter look and hadn't has fit issues so never made the jump, but they still are probably better than a paper type cone filter.

I hate all the air filters I have ever tried. The secret to good high RPM braaaapppp is good air flow into the carb. Most of these air filters impede air flow too much.

Rig up minimal screening to keep big hunks of junk out. It's unlikely you're running too lean because you'll lack power. Anytime you are having performance issues remove the air filter and do some test runs. Chances are you are blocking too much air and running rich.

Project for today. Re- jetting and swapping out forks. The uni foam filter is super nice. I just hate oiling and cleaning them. For tight spots I like the one in the middle. Usually it's the stupid little breather tubes on the stock one causing the problems. The two on the left give you plenty of air, and are easy to clean. I disagree on the lean condition causing lack of power unless it is radically lean, which usually doesn't happen just from loosing a air cleaner. The lean condition Usually causes high revs that can't be adjusted down with the idle screw, a little balk when you floor it, but then it runs like a raped ape. Not for long though.View media item 60731View media item 60732

I hate all the air filters I have ever tried. The secret to good high RPM braaaapppp is good air flow into the carb. Most of these air filters impede air flow too much.

Rig up minimal screening to keep big hunks of junk out. It's unlikely you're running too lean because you'll lack power. Anytime you are having performance issues remove the air filter and do some test runs. Chances are you are blocking too much air and running rich.
Plug is a nice dry chocolate brown as opposed to my normal oily black.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back