MB-Riders Always Welcome Here

Here's the thing Fabian,
There are stretches of paved road and flat prairie where you
can make 40 mph, but there are also parts where you'd have to
pick up your bike and carry it across the steep side of a snow
field without slipping a 1000 ft down the mountainside. Forget
six trailers.
More than 90% of starters never finish. I know they have mtns.
in Oz, but by and large it is the flattest continent on earth.
The guy who set the record in 15 days pedaled 20 hrs a day.
That would probably kill me in less than 2 hrs. in that terrain.
A lot of the route one couldn't drive more than 20mph without
bustin' your rig.

Last edited:
Links to eBay may include affiliate code. If you click on an eBay link and make a purchase, this forum may earn a small commission.
You're so right! Wish I could afford one; my back
is killing me today after only a dozen miles. I gotta
get one a dem!

Just 21 miles south of the Canadian border on 97 is Tonasket- Mayor Patrick Plumb has declared it an MB- friendly town. All of Okanogan county views MBs legally as bicycles, do note that Motorcycle helmets are the only requirement. In Tonasket, behind the visitor's information center, is a BIKE PARK- free of charge, water tap is on 24/7, there are porta-potties and you are just off the main drag in the center of town. Old hippie enclave- one of the last stations of the underground railway running draft dodgers into Canada. When the draft ended, many hippies stayed and learned to produce stuff or work a trade. Cool town.
Politically, I am conservative- but I like hippies in a town, they make things interesting. Tonasket is a cool place, kinda like Los Gatos in the south bay area BEFORE it got trendy and over-priced.
40 miles south on 97 is the non-entity of a town called Malott (Ma-LOT)... I live there. Annie and I are looking into a bikester's bunkhouse of some stripe, encouragement to long-haul on these silly things. Neighbors are used to the idea that I am kinda nuts, so the appearance of a gaggle of weed-eater walmart specials won't make any difference. Besides, Annie serves up some of the finest bakery goods this side of heaven, and the coffee is military grade (you were expecting something different? We do stock molasses to sweeten for those who are Appalachian enhanced, and goat's milk). You also get a free tour of the 'Skonk Works' where a multitude of ... interesting... things occur. Will advise when the 'vacancy' sign is up.

That's good to know, Sarge. I might be out that way
in the near future. As far as the legality issue's concerned
here in WA., my experience has been that if you ride responsibly,
wear a helmet, reflective vest, and have a blinking light in back,
most officers are not interested in hassling a MB. I've a sheriff
living across the street from me and ride regularly past the homes
of several other officers who have just waved as I pass by.

Back