Mixing method?

tombenn444

Local time
4:38 AM
Something I've been wondering for a while now but nobody I talk to can give me a straight answer. When mixing my fuel and oil, can I use a set of weed, i mean postage, scales to just weigh out however many oz. Of oil I need?

Doooood...... just use a tablespoon, brah. 1 tablespoon equals half an ounce. Use a milk gallon jug to mix up your concoction, whatever ratio pleases you.

No you cannot. For 32:1 you need a 4oz bottle of 2 stroke per gallon of gasoline. If you want 16:1 use an 8oz bottle for a gallon. If you want 40:1 use a 3.2oz bottle per gallon. Anything else you want, say 420:1 just divide 128 (oz in a gallon) by 420 and you get your answer, 0.0305oz per gallon of gas.

It is oz as in volume, not weight.

That's what confuses me. The size of the bottle is relative on the density of the liquid but oz is oz right,? 8 oz bottle of oil weighs 8 oz but only if there's oil in it. Just like how 16 oz bottle of water weighs 16 oz but only when full of water.
Speaking in terms of water as an example:

Gallon weighs 8 lbs
16 oz
in a lb
128 oz in a galleon
8×16= 128

it seems that the method of calculating an ounce of volume is with the weight of water in its purist form. However not all liquids weigh the same. Oil is less dense than water, other things are are more dense than water. It seems like a lot of work when you can just go to the dollar store and grab a measuring cup.

Something I've been wondering for a while now but nobody I talk to can give me a straight answer. When mixing my fuel and oil, can I use a set of weed, i mean postage, scales to just weigh out however many oz. Of oil I need?
Save the herbage scale for the herbage. A double is 3 ounces. So get a double shot glass, fill it to the brim, now ya got about 42:1 mix. Do another normal shot and your down to around 30:1. You don't need to be exact with the oil. Little more or less ain't going to hurt.

Oh, I just use the scale on the bottle of oil. Bottle comes with a measuring cup, save that bottle, and then use the oil you normally use, in the old jugs cup. lol. I paid for it, I'm going to use it till it breaks.

That's what confuses me. The size of the bottle is relative on the density of the liquid but oz is oz right,? 8 oz bottle of oil weighs 8 oz but only if there's oil in it. Just like how 16 oz bottle of water weighs 16 oz but only when full of water.
Speaking in terms of water as an example:

Gallon weighs 8 lbs
16 oz
in a lb
128 oz in a galleon
8×16= 128
A gallon of water is 8.8 lbs.

Different oils will weigh out different, depending on the density of each oil. You measure by volume, not an ounce of weight. You are measuring a certain set space full of a liquid. Depending on the make up of said liquid, it will weigh differently for a given volume.

Then by that logic, if I knew the numbers and could convert it accurately, I could use a scale? I know everyone says "just use a measuring cup" well measuring cups aren't consistent. Show me three different people measure 1 oz of anything into three different measuring cups, and I'll eat my shirt if even one of them measures out to an exact oz (within reason of an exact oz, I realize the impossibility of an exact oz, but u get my drift) as opposed to using a scale. Sure its not perfect but its certainly more accurate and exponentially more precise.

why are you that worried? it doesn't need to be exact. First you need to know what the oil you are using weighs for 1 fluid ounce. Then you need to keep checking, formulations are not exact, and change with batches. When the fluid ounce stays exactly the same. An if the people are reading the measuring device right, they should all come out with the same exact thing. If they don't, 2 or all 3 of them do not know what they are doing. This is why we have Weights and Measures standards, so we all have the same amount when we measure.

Then by that logic, if I knew the numbers and could convert it accurately, I could use a scale? I know everyone says "just use a measuring cup" well measuring cups aren't consistent. Show me three different people measure 1 oz of anything into three different measuring cups, and I'll eat my shirt if even one of them measures out to an exact oz (within reason of an exact oz, I realize the impossibility of an exact oz, but u get my drift) as opposed to using a scale. Sure its not perfect but its certainly more accurate and exponentially more precis
Buy a bottle of your favorite brand, whatever volume you want, then pour it into a tared container, weigh the entire volume, then calculate for loss what was left over as residue and then also assume the manufacturer is super precise, and divide by how many ounces the volume you think have left over in the container, then you will know the weight per ounce. Make sure your scale has been calibrated by an authorized service vendor as well, and within the past year.

Back