Motoredbiking and the price of gas

Large your vids are so amusing to watch, between the singing, talking to the camera, riding on bike paths motorized and filling unapproved containers with electronic devices running right next to the nozzle I can't help but laugh. You must have been a serious rebel/troublemaker in your early youth :)

its all good though!

It's my cell phone yet. I shoot all my video's with my cell phone.
I didn't even think about that!

Large your vids are so amusing to watch, between the singing, talking to the camera, riding on bike paths motorized and filling unapproved containers with electronic devices running right next to the nozzle I can't help but laugh. You must have been a serious rebel/troublemaker in your early youth :)

its all good though!

LOL, I agree.
Isn't there also a sign on the gas pump saying it's illegal to put gas in an unauthorized container?
Large, you rebel you. Stick it the man!!!!!!!!:cool::devilish:

After I shot that video and realized I gave the teller 80 cents,I walked back to the teller with that dollar water container from the Army Navy store,and asked him how much he thinks will fill this up. He said "50 cents?" I gave him 60 cents. I was correct.

Riding with you

Hey Large:

I watched this video and the ones of your riding in the rain. Your laughter was making me grin from ear to ear as "we" were going down the trails. It was a fun ride. Thanks.

PS: I got great gas mileage sitting here at the computer while you ran the bike. Thanks so much for sharing!

Pepper

hey large, nice vid you rebel, keep sticking it out there.

They did the cell phone and the petrol bowser thing on Myth Busters
and found it to be Busted.

IE you can't blow yourself up with a mobile phone.

see this link:

http://www.themythbusters.net/episodes/2_e-Cell-Phone-Destruction-Silicone-Breasts-CD-ROM-Shattering.html

Cell phone explosion: BUSTED. A Cell Phone can not create a spark that will ignite gas.

So Large you were safe all along.

Sorry Will - that particular episode makes me mad every time I see it.

A cell phone absolutely CAN generate a spark or enough heat to set off a fire. They (Mythbusters) just did a superficial test.

However, don't take me wrong. a properly operating phone probably won't start a fire at a gas pump. The issue arises when the phone gets dropped, and has a loose battery connection, or develops a short. Or, maybe an IC or a capacitor fails. (an electrolytic capacitor is filled with a flamable liquid, and when they fail, they can over-pressurize & burst into flame. They CAN fail dramatically... There's really a wide range of failure modes which could lead to a short circuit or overheat situation.

I've worked as a control engineer in hazardous environments (Class II, Divisions 1 and 2, hazardous dust) in chemical plants, with some pretty nasty stuff (the propellant in automotive air bags - it's essentially a solid rocket fuel.) The dust that is a byproduct of the manufacturing process is quite explosive, and I've seen some pretty significant fires and explosions that were caused by some pretty insignificant things. In just about every case, there was a chain of events that led to the explosion.

The area in and around a gas pump is classified as Class I Division 2, meaning that is a flamable gas or vapor, which is intermittently present.

Properly working equipment doesn't cause the problem. It's equipment that is in the act of failing that is the real issue.

It only takes about 1 watt of power at low voltages to be able to generate a spark. A cell phone battery can hold about 2 amp hours at apx 3 volts. A short circuit, inside or outside the battery can generate enough heat to set the thing on fire! 2 amps for an hour, 4 amps for 30 minutes, 8 amps for 15 minutes, and so on. Cut the time in half, and double the amperage possible in a failure. What happens when you've dropped a phone, and it has an intermittent connection, and it develops a short circuit? 20 or 30 amps, and an intermittent connection can, and does lead to sparks. If there's gasoline vapor present, boom...

Now, the equipment that is rated as intrinsicly safe (and, there ARE some phones that are) has power limiting circuits on any part of the equipment that could potentially, even in a failure mode, be exposed to the hazardous atmosphere. The rest of the device is sealed so that any spark is contained in the sealed area. And, the battery capacity is limited, and fail-safe circuits are added to limit short-circuit current flow.

Mythbusters did a real disservice with that particular episode, and eventually, I expect that someone will be badly burned or killed while they're using a cell phone around a gas pump. There will be a chain of events that leads to their phone being faulty, and it will start a fire.

Last edited:
The idea that high gas prices will lead to smaller vehicles is dependent on logical thinking on the part of humans. My experience suggests that humans and logical thinking have a strained relationship. People seem to typically buy cars on the status basis. So what really needs to happen is Motorized bikes need to be made to look cool. Motorized bikes need an add campaign that send the message car makers have been sending for years. Namely: These things will get you laid.

Every time at the pumps I get confronted. And when I'm answering questions,EVERYONE at the pumps stops their conversing with people in their cars and what not and are all ears.
I love going to the pumps,tossing some change to the attendant and say Fill her up!
People DEFINITELY notice.
I am teh cool.
WE are teh cool.
People like cool.

Back