Motorkote is good stuff

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think the fly in the ointment to all these engine additives is that "if" they were as good as claimed, why wouldn't the major engine oil companies incorporate that additive into their oil? Imagine the market share increase the oil company would enjoy if their product truly limited friction and increased performance and fuel mileage. I remember the mistake called Atlantic Graphite oil. I had a 1975 Pontiac Astra that had it's cam oil journals clogged shut by the graphite. There was another graphite based additive called Moly that made a resurgence in the late 80's the mid 90's. I knew a farmer who used it in his Farmall M and it messed his engine up so badly that he had to have it rebuilt. I learned my lesson with additives. I run full syn. oil (Mobil 1) and change it every 5000 miles. I had 150k on my Ford Ranger before I sold it and it purred like a kitten right up to the day it permanently left my driveway. I now have a 2010 Silverado and that will receive the same oil and maintenance schedule. Just my humble opinion....

I am highly skeptical of any miracle oil treatment, especially the ones that claim they "bond to metal" or "soak into the pores" of metal. I have run cars well over 200K miles with conventional motor oil, and oil change intervals of 10,000 miles. In all cases, the cars were sold off or scrapped for reasons other than engine failure. I'm one of those guys that doesn't buy into the 3,000 mile oil change myth either.

I was told by a mechanic that the 3,000 miles oil change interval was 1. picked a long time ago; 2. was fairly arbitrary at the time; 3. most modern cars (this was 15 years ago) are truly designed to go more like 7,500 miles between each.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back