Carby my carb won't fit!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
The reason why you check the jets first is so you can track down the dirts source.
If its clean make a carb screw adjustment.

Carb screw

Theres no air/fuel mix screw on a HT engine. The brass screw is only for idle adjustment. Once the throttle is open the idle screw has nothing to do with how it runs. But checking for a clogged jet or needle valve is a good idea. It happens all the time with these engines. If the needle valve is clogged then the fuel supply is restricted going into the bowl. of course most of the time if the valve is clogged it wont shut off right and you'll notice your carb is overflowing. It could supply just enough fuel to keep it running, but not enough to let it run properly. And also, like it's been said already, A clogged or dirty jet is a bad thing.

Thats on the money and would like to add that stains anywere are build up points for sludge. So you want it spotless.

Oh and speaking of money I was going to ask HelioJacker weres mine at.
Perhaps EZ dumptruck company can recycle the trash and cover it.

Last edited:
so why are we talking about blocked jets when the engine is running rich?

blocked jets = lean.

black plug = rich

therefore one would assume if its running rich, the jets too large?

maybe im just blowing hot air outta my behind..iunno... :eek:

try smaller jets...or just, if its a new jet...

go look through some handy box of wire... find the finest strand you can get... like headphone wire or something. just one lil strand of copper wire...

carefully thread through the jet, solder one end on, pull wire tight, solder other end. dont blob solder all over the place, dont get it in the jet or on the thread!

trim excess wire.

if its better but could be better(plugchops!), either use two strands or find one marginally thicker...

etc etc.

saves buying them and saves destroying one by soldering n drilling.

Last edited:
hey good stuff, I may try that,

just to understand, the needle valve with retainer clip controls gas flow at lower to mid throttle and main jet controls mid to full throttle
Is this correct?

and it seams the air filter is wet with gas,,, this may be another clue

just to understand, the needle valve with retainer clip controls gas flow at lower to mid throttle and main jet controls mid to full throttle
Is this correct?

and it seams the air filter is wet with gas,,, this may be another clue

Yes you are correct about the needle valve and the main jet.

It's pretty common for piston ported 2 strokes (such as these) to spit a little gas /oil back out of the carb, which will cause the air filter to be wet.
If these engines had reed valves, that wouldn't happen.

Carb

The slide needle is adjustable for low end and mid range. The only way to adjust a jet for mid to full range is to plug it up, drill it out or change it. HeadSmess might have a point though. If your plug is black and wet then you are running rich. The only other possibility is too much oil in the mix. If you're pretty sure about the mix then somehow you are running rich. Try the wire strand thing as a way to check it out. If things improve, buy smaller jets. They just screw in, pretty easy stuff.

darn tootin i have a point! bits of wire in the jet are just as good as drilling! and pffft, i hate drilling. too hard to get em spot on. wire i can always go smaller and always go back again, all with one jet :D

i always drilled... then found that with whats available i couldnt get the accuracy i needed. and the price of the accuracy is worth about ten jets with postage... :eek: thats one drill bit, that maynt be right anyway, versus 10 jets...

wire cured all ills :)

oh yeah! so does buying the right jet! :giggle:

but yes, the needle only affects low ends/mids. it can affect the main if the mains too small in the first place...

and, then...these basic carbs do have yet another mix adjustment!

idle mix. can make it leaner, but never richer...

how, they ask?

look at the slide. see the angled cutaway?

if you file it, it gets leaner at idle.

still not sure how to "defile" it :p

dont bother touching it :giggle:

n i know of another one that will give you "mixture enrichment" when you open the throttle from idle :D my secret :D worked in the karts, at least :) you wont find it in any book :D

buuuuut... sorry psycho... reeds dont always stop blowback. when the reeds close, the airstream is still moving. whack bang and back out the carb it goes again... why they should have the shortest intake possible. (and goes back to the boost bottles that i completely fobbed off when i first saw em on ebay...and read the description.but now? not so fobbed...:unsure: )

of course it depends on other factors as well, mainly...what engine.
and if you simply overrev them...

just clarifying :)

Last edited:
darn tootin i have a point! bits of wire in the jet are just as good as drilling! and pffft, i hate drilling. too hard to get em spot on. wire i can always go smaller and always go back again, all with one jet :D

i always drilled... then found that with whats available i couldnt get the accuracy i needed. and the price of the accuracy is worth about ten jets with postage... :eek: thats one drill bit, that maynt be right anyway, versus 10 jets...

but yes, the needle only affects low ends/mids. it can affect the main if the mains too small in the first place...

how, they ask?

n i know of another one that will give you "mixture enrichment" when you open the throttle from idle :D my secret :D worked in the karts, at least :) you wont find it in any book :D

buuuuut... sorry psycho... reeds dont always stop blowback. when the reeds close, the airstream is still moving. whack bang and back out the carb it goes again... why they should have the shortest intake possible. (and goes back to the boost bottles that i completely fobbed off when i first saw em on ebay...and read the description.but now? not so fobbed...:unsure: )

I'm with you and i agree.
But i thought reed valves would stop the blowback problem.....I guess you learn something new every day huh?

how, they ask?

:)[/QUOTE] look at the slide. see the angled cutaway?

if you file it, it gets leaner at idle :[END QUOTE]

Once the idle screw is ALL the way out, and the slide is hitting the bottom of the carb, filing the slide cutaway would be useless. Perhaps if you filed some off the bottom of the carb slide, letting it fall further down, you could get that result. THINK about it for a minute or two, You'll come to the same conclusion. (Do not pass go, ect,ect.)
Also, Trusting most people to do a good soldering job, let alone a Newbie, to solder a very small strand of wire into a jet inlet is just asking for trouble. You can imagine the possibilities for failure. As a temp. solution, just to check it out, MAYBE. But sucking small bits of wire and solder into your engine may not be very good for it. at the very least it has the possibility of clogging things up.
So, Filing the slide angled cutaway wont work, and putting a foriegn object in your carb, such as wire, although it would work, is not the best idea I've ever heard, What else ya got? You claim a "secret" way, not it any book, so you must be the only one in the world doing this "secret" thing. Is it better than your "file the slide" idea? I think you know by now that I will always ask for proof or a source. If you really didn't want us to know your "secret" then you would'nt have mentioned it at all. SO, time to put up or---, Well, you know the rest.
Big Red.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back