My First Build Isn't Going As Expected

whmdan

Local time
9:42 PM
First, I must admit in hindsight, I should have come to you guys for advice over a week ago, before placing the order. That said, this is where I'm at right now:

A week ago I placed an order with bikeberry.com for their BBR Motor Ready bicycle and a 4 stroke 49cc kit. The motor is that Honda knockoff from China.

Everything came all together for $826. (I know this is a bit high, but I thought the bike was higher quality than what it is)

This morning it all arrived via FedEx. The boxes looked fine from the outside. Upon opening the bicycle box, I notice minor damage to a rim and a 3-4mm bend on the rear fork, exactly where the left side wheel axle goes. I contacted Bikeberry and was instructed to photograph the damage and send it to their support email. I did that.

While I waited for a response, I wanted to see if the bike could work through these flaws. I bent the rear fork strait with plyers and began assembling. I searched and searched, but couldn't find the promised installation DVD. I called Bikeberry again and was referred to YouTube. None of the YouTube videos I could find had the same bicycle frame And the same motor, so I had to mix and match and just figure it out best I could.

I swapped the crank with a wider crank for engine clearance. Installed the mounting plate, chain, master link, idler pull, electrical, fuel, etc. The included pedles are a smaller bolt size than the wide crank arms, so as of right now, I don't have any peddles. The product video promised Kenda brand tires, but the included tires are cheap beyond reason, they look like plastic more than rubber.

I was able to start the bike engine and adjust the rpm's a little before it started raining on me, so I called it a night. As it stands, I'm rather disappointed for the following 5 reasons:

1) No assembly instructions included.
2) Damaged rim and rear fork
3) Overly cheap tires, when promised Kenda Tires
4) The included pedals are incompatible with the wider crank, therefor, not able to be road ready until I can find or receive the correct pedals.

The customer service people finally emailed me back about the damaged parts. They seemed like they wanted to fix it. I haven't replied to them yet.

At this point, I'm considering a full return. I'd rather not do that, as I've been looking forward to this project for a while, and I'd hate another delay. What do you guys think?

UPDATE:

Given I can't do a full return, I'll accept the offered partial return and go on my way. So my question changes to: What now? I've got it running, what do I need to do now? Where is a good place to buy parts from?

Last edited:
I think if you start wrenching on it, you own it. BB has a pretty bad rep for customer service, even when they are demonstrably at fault. The shipping damage is gonna be on FedWrecks, and they'll try to weasel out of it first.

The DVD is damn near worthless anyway, no loss.

About the only thing I have left from my BB kit is the tank. Everything else has been replaced. The hardware is only good for taking to the store so you get the right size when you buy screws that won't stretch or break. The chain is made of rubber, and the tranny is hot garbage. I can't speak for their bikes, but I can't imagine they're any better.

Old busted is probably right especially with the frame. Once you straightened it you probably own it. No harm in trying though. If you used paypal you may have some luck. You may want to leave out a few of the details you have shared with us on the reasons for return though.

This is where patience would have benefited you. Wait until you get somewhere with the company before you start touching the bike beside just inspecting it. Give them the chance to mess up first. Bikeberry has a bad reputation for customer service but you got too impatient about riding the bike. You own it now.

Yeah, I see that. Which is fine, I guess. They offeded a partial refund for the damaged items. I'll take that and be done with them. So my new questions are:

What now? I've got it running and driving. I need to take some more links out of both chains. How quickly should I change the oil? Where's a good place to buy parts from?

Thanks for your help.

This is how I've done mine: Ride around the block a few times and then do the first oil change. Then after 1 hour of use second oil change. Then change the oil every 10 hours of use. No issues.

Do these engine ship with some oil in them? The oil that comes from the factory is purely for assembly lube and corrosion control. I'd open the drain plug if there is one and let it drain overnight into a container, remember to reinstall the drain plug snugly before filling with new oil.

Dan's recommendation is sound advice, the first oil change, ( after first filling with real motor oil..) should be after 20 minutes minutes use at most.

Lifan horizontal Honda clones come with a third quart of factory assembly oil in them. It's always recommended to drain out the shipping oil.

Back