My new build...

It's not done yet, actually. But I've got the basic structure of the bike complete. There's still a few odds and ends. But they're minor.

Then I'll need to route cables and such.

I started with the intent to make my bike a tribute to this bike. It's a 1940 Victoria. A German manufacturer.
1940 Victoria.jpg
And I think my bike is catching the flavor of that bike. But regardless of my intent, the bike also has a mind of it's own and it's getting to look a bit like this later Latvian bike. From the early 60s. It's called a Gauja.
Gauja 03.jpg
In one respect my bike is more authentic to the Gauja. The Gauja has a D series Soviet engine. A direct ancestor to our happy time engine. But the Gauja, though sweet, looks just a bit flimsy to me. I'm building my bike more stout than that. More like the Victoria. Which was built like a tank.

So my bike is a fairly successful tribute. But it's a bit fuzzy about just what it's a tribute to.

I started with a Huffy step through frame. It looks to me like one of the last from the Dayton, Ohio days. For paint I used good old Rustoleum. I brushed it on using a cotton ball held in a pair of pliers. The reason I used such an odd painting technique was my hope that those fibers would brush on with the paint and imitate the surface of an old, old bicycle. Sometimes when I look at it it seems to me as though I've succeeded. Other times it just looks like a very amateurish paint job. In any case, I lack the equipment and the patience to give a bike a professional quality paint job. So my bikes are gonna be hand painted.

My first modification was to double up on the brakes. Two mere C brakes or V brakes just aren't enough.
Rear double brake 01.jpg
Rear double brake 02.jpg

I was going to do the same thing on the front. But I decided instead to get better wheels. Not so much because I was thinking about brakes, but because I simply want better wheels than I've had in the past. So I bought a front wheel with 11 gauge spokes and a drum brake. I'll still mount a V brake. One hand will control the drum brake plus one rear C brake. The other hand will control the front V brake plus one rear C brake.

I ran into one small issue with the drum brake. You see I also mount a bracket onto my front forks that serves as fender stay anchors plus it's the foundation for front cargo racks. It was in the way of the clamp for the drum brake's torque arm. So I had to fabricate a new clamp for that torque arm.
brake torque arm clamp 01.jpg

So that torque arm is not mounted in exactly the standard position now. But I doubt if that'll be a problem. Still, I've never had a drum brake. The only things I know about them are those things that I can figure out myself. So, who knows? But I'm not worried about it.

So then I started working on the rear cargo rack and the fenders.
Fender and rack mock-up 02.jpg

You'll notice that I've mounted my rear rack in an unusual position. It's actually facing back and it's rotated toward the rear. The reason for this is that I try to get my loads nice and low if I can. I've been using this setup on the bike that I've been riding and I'm pleased with the results. The bike is more stable at low speeds. If I load the back too heavily, then I do get a tail-wagging-the-dog feeling. But it takes a heavy load to do that.

The struts that run over the fender are made from some basic flat steel. 1/2 inch wide by 1/8 inch thick. They run up to a bracket on the seat tube made from 1 in x 1/8 inch steel. More of the 1/2 x 1/8 make up the struts that run from the upper chainstay to the legs of the rack. It's quite stiff and can take a load.

On the front I made fender stays out of 1 in x 1/8 in steel. And I connected them using 1/2 x 1/8. This made up a frame that holds onto the front fender. That fender won't be getting caught in my front wheel.
Front fender framework.jpg

I also decided to make a real chain/axle adjuster.
Axle adjuster 01.jpg
Axle adjuster 02.jpg

And today I worked more on my front cargo carriers. They consist of a standard front basket plus those struts I mentioned earlier that are mounted down by the axle.
front cargo mounts 01.jpg
front cargo mounts 02.jpg
front cargo mounts 03.jpg
front cargo mounts 04.jpg
front cargo mounts 05.jpg

I've also been using this setup on my current bike. And it works really well. I have, in effect front panniers. But they're easy to take on and off. For that matter, they're easily replaceable. Cheap backpacks are easy to come by.

And, once again, having the load nice and low is a blessing.

Here's a mock up pic.

The basket is hanging kinda odd because I've removed some of those front rack pieces plus basket support struts and painted them. They're now hanging up to dry.

But this pic gives a notion of what the bike'll end up looking like.bike mock up 12-14.jpg

Thank you, Timbone.

Yes. Fenders are a real cause for concern on a motorized bike. If that front fender comes loose and gets caught in that wheel, the rider can do a face plant before he even knows what's happening.

Fenders must be fastened really well. And they should be built like a fortress.

If you refer back to my 'tribute' pics, the Victoria did that job right. The Gauja really did not.

In my last mock up pic I forgot to include one chain guard that's nearly ready. Just a little bit of cutting to fit is all that's needed.
mock up 12-14 02.jpg

Back