My Next Build

Welp... that was a complete fail trying @DAMIEN1307 's front brake solution. My bracket showed up today. Crap chinese junk metal... but I figured I'd give it a go. I installed... installed the adel clamp... everything was mounted firmly... I rolled my front wheel and hit the brake... I noticed the entire thing flex. I literally held the brake with one hand and with the other turned the "stopped" wheel and WATCHED the entire bracket mechanism bend inward toward the rim. Had I rode this bike and even tested this solution... I would have hit the pavement.

I am not sure how or what Damien did or if he somehow got some strengthened bracket but the crap I got was absolute s**t ... I could easily bend it on a vice pushing on it.

:(

I am now AGAIN left wondering WTF I am going to do for front brakes.

The entire build is on hold until I can figure this out. I might have to cough up $50.00 for front forks with brackets ... $50.00 I don't really have...

>sigh<

I think I am going to try something similar to this...

ScreenHunter 559.jpg

...and here is my version. I'll be testing it tomorrow... but I think it'll work fine.

I shaved the aluminum slot so that it will run up against the forks without causing any more damage to the drop out...

PHAN_BRACKET1.jpg

PHAN_BRACKET2.jpg

These are 1" to 2" hose clamps. I'd like to find something a little nicer looking if possible. I'm sure I could find a smaller clamp that would fit with less "tail"... I could also cut that "tail" off with the ole dremel without much issue. It sucks that I managed to catch the face with the dremel in a couple spots. I guess if I were anal (and unfortunately... sometimes I am) I could sand the whole plate... maybe paint it black. Frankly... it probably would look best if I painted it and the eventual clamps I use black...

I'm using Kevlar tape around the forks and I also have a strip of the stuff stuck to the underside of the bracket that hits the forks.

You can see a tiny little gap down where the drop out is between the newly cut aluminum tab and the edge of the drop out... I did that on purpose as it's sort of a "backup" of sorts. If the bracket fails... the adapter will move forward toward the forks ...damaging the bracket along the way... until it gets right to the fork where it will (a) smash part of the aluminum against the fork and (b) hit the edge of that tab down in the drop out... at the same time. I HOPE that would prevent a wheel-lockup type of situation. But who knows... I'm no engineer.

:)

I think it's time to get that DOT certified helmet vs this bike helmet...

Back brakes have been added...

I am a LITTLE nervous about this one... but it SEEMS nice and sturdy...

...seems...

PHAN_BACKBRAKE1.jpg

PHAN_BACKBRAKE2.jpg

PHAN_BACKBRAKE3.jpg

PHAN_BACKBRAKE4.jpg

NOTE that on the 3rd pic I circle a couple sets of washers (2 each). I had to add these to get the reach to get to the disc without issue. I am a little worried about this little extra reach. That said... I DID go and purchase bolts that were a little longer than stock to compensate for the extra space the washers take up ... so the thread being grabbed is about the same. Fingers crossed...

...and here is my version. I'll be testing it tomorrow... but I think it'll work fine.

I shaved the aluminum slot so that it will run up against the forks without causing any more damage to the drop out...
NOTE that on the 3rd pic I circle a couple sets of washers (2 each). I had to add these to get the reach to get to the disc without issue. I am a little worried about this little extra reach. That said... I DID go and purchase bolts that were a little longer than stock to compensate for the extra space the washers take up ... so the thread being grabbed is about the same. Fingers crossed...
That looks pretty darn good to me from where I am sitting right now, (On my fat butt in front of the computer screen...lol.)...lol.

Can't wait to hear back from you after you give it a work out.

I don't think the clamps on now look bad.

Puzzling it's given you all these problems. I'm using a ratty $3 bracket to mount a line pull hydraulic caliper with a 203 rotor and it holds. I did have to screw the ring down wrapping the fork to prevent it from distorting, but it holds in place.

For the blemishes on the powder coat...if it bothers you... get yellow paint close to your color and carefully paint only the discolored marks. It'll cover and hide the marks much better than what the black or scratches look like. Just fill in the scratches with a detail pin point brush. It makes a big difference from vastly contrasting colors when you match the blemish with a similar color.

I use a black sharpie to blacken any scratched black parts on my bike.

Links to eBay may include affiliate code. If you click on an eBay link and make a purchase, this forum may earn a small commission.
Back