Need a laid back seat post, size question

artmaker

Local time
9:26 AM
So ok, my new 4 stroke motor needed those wider (and shorter) pedal cranks. And I also lowered my seat a bit just so when I stop I have a good solid plant on the ground with my foot. (Darn bike plus me is heavy.)

All this means I'm cramped. I like to alternate one straight leg down, take some weight off the rump for a bit and switch. Well just can't now.

SO laid back posts seem a good fit. However,
I pulled out the post on my bike (Ill stick a photo at the end of this.)
And it's stamped 25.6 mm

WELL… it seems 25.4mm is all that's out there. One ebay seller mentioned I might need a shim? Which he doesn't sell.

.2mm CAN'T be that much. There is some room to tighten down, but thought I'd ask first. Best to get the right thing if at all possible.

Been riding a bike since age 6, many decades ago but believe it or not have NEVER had to change out a seat post.

While I'm on the subject of cramped quarters, do any of you have something on your motorized bikes similar to what motorcyclists do? Those foot pads to stretch out the legs with? I'm kinda thinking no room to install anything like that, just tossing it out there.

IMG_0130.JPG

So ok, my new 4 stroke motor needed those wider (and shorter) pedal cranks. And I also lowered my seat a bit just so when I stop I have a good solid plant on the ground with my foot. (Darn bike plus me is heavy.)

All this means I'm cramped. I like to alternate one straight leg down, take some weight off the rump for a bit and switch. Well just can't now.

And it's stamped 25.6 mm

WELL… it seems 25.4mm is all that's out there. One ebay seller mentioned I might need a shim? Which he doesn't sell.

.2mm CAN'T be that much. There is some room to tighten down, but thought I'd ask first. Best to get the right thing if at all possible.

Been riding a bike since age 6, many decades ago but believe it or not have NEVER had to change out a seat post.

While I'm on the subject of cramped quarters, do any of you have something on your motorized bikes similar to what motorcyclists do? Those foot pads to stretch out the legs with? I'm kinda thinking no room to install anything like that, just tossing it out there.

View attachment 77935
You will need a shim that is 0.1mm thick. Which is the same as an aluminium soda can**. :)

**Although those can vary and they're generally getting thinner.

SO just make one out of a soda can????

I wonder, does anyone make a seat post attachment? Just attach that the same as attaching a seat, then attach the seat to that. Wouldn't need to swap out my post at all.

SO just make one out of a soda can????

I wonder, does anyone make a seat post attachment? Just attach that the same as attaching a seat, then attach the seat to that. Wouldn't need to swap out my post at all.
I don't think so but there was a support in the mid 90s for mountain bikes so they could have the seat slid all the way back without stressing the clamp so much. Really expensive for what it was and probably an overpriced collectors item now.. but possibly not too difficult to make.
I can't remember the name of it but it was just a support arm, the maximum rearward seat position was still limited by the rails on the original clamp.

Those foot pegs, I seen them on a schwinn Stingray right on the fork, you just push them down with your feet and then relax.

On a pedal bike that makes absolutely no sense to me when it's that type of bike, the only way you can use that is to get rolling down a long hill, a short one would probably lack any feeling of appreciation for them. On a motorized bike that makes more sense since you'll actually have a chance and time to make real use of them. On that bike I don't think you could get pegs on the fork and use them but extended from the fender with some heavy reinforcement it might work, and look silly too to use lol..

Best place for you would be between the furthest reach of the pedals and the front fender, comming from the frame around the area the motor mount would meet the downtube.

Nothing else makes sense unless you can fold them in to clear the pedals, but if I were doing that I'd put it on the left side and only the left side, your right side pedal holds your right foot and the peg holds the left.

If you made a hinged joint and made it extend back far enough and popped out in the right place then it could block the left pedal from turning (counter clockwise, as if pedaling forward) and as a result the right side pedal would be held in place, just make the left side stop at the point were the right side sits most comfortably, the weight of your leg on the left side will keep the attachment down which keeps the pedal in place with the right side only having the force of your leg on it, kinda balanced if the "stopper" levies against the crank near the end of it.

Taking the left foot off and pushing the right pedal down could flip it back up, with a retaining method to keep it up, or could be spring loaded so it automatically goes back when you take your foot off.

Last edited:
hmmmm. Wondering now, pipe? Could make my own seat post if they make plain old pipe the same diameter. Or maybe slide one over the post I have. Little L joint and another piece, attach seat.
Be cheap enough to experiment.

Next trip to Lowes I might bring my seat with.

Well hit there Frankie. Giving up on the extended pedal thing. There's no room that won't interfere with the stearing somehow. Just raising moving the seat back so I can stretch more would be good.
Gotta be a way.

Well hit there Frankie. Giving up on the extended pedal thing. There's no room that won't interfere with the stearing somehow. Just raising moving the seat back so I can stretch more would be good.
Gotta be a way.
Some sort of 8 shaped clamp/s? Like the things that join temporary fencing, but much better than that, obviously.
otter_tempfence_clamps_galv.gif

Ohhhhh I like that. Simple.

Still waiting for a few bike places to reply. Be nice to just get the right part.
But that could work.
:rolleyes:

And it's stamped 25.6 mm

View attachment 77935
If you don't weld take your seat post to a weld shop. Figure how long you want the set back. That will be the long point of the top tube (where the pencil is). Cut to that point at 38 deg. Then weld them up, add a gusset on each side and your good to go. You can double check the angle needed on your bike by running a straight edge across the rack and marking the post. What ever the angle comes to divide it in half for your cut angles. I have made a bunch this way they hold up even with the big guys.View media item 60798View media item 60797

Back