New Member introduction

I was stationed in Germany, years ago. Not far from you in Karlsruhe. Have a safe trip back to " the world !"

Fyi

Yes, Karlshrue is is just down the autobaun from my little town of St. Leon. We are right smack in the middle of Stuttgart, and Frankfurt. I am sure that you know how much the Germans love thier bicycles, and there are a lot of gas powered bikes here as well,, many are the type that have the motor over the front wheel and they all look the same--BLACK--as a matter of fact there is a much older gentleman a few houses down that has several of them, he actually walkes his horse while riding one, I about fell over the first time I saw him doing that,,, interesting sound of a small two stroke motor and the 'cip-clop' of the horse at the same time. he also uses the horse to pull a cart that he sells vegies out of, and uses a large bell to let every one know he's coming----one horse power I think!

Welcome Rhett,
I hope in due time we can share some of our experiences with the Mecedes Benz.
Regretably, soon after I discovered motoredbikes, it was the straw that broke my spirit to keep restoring the Merc I had.
$150.00 to repair a hydraulic hose for example for the self leveling rear suspension, became beyond the joke for me. When I started on my first bike recently, I sold the Merc for scrap metal.
It paid for part of the kit.
The the other day we sold the best Mercedes Benz Co.. could produce in the late 70's, it only fetched a pittance of it's true worth as far as German automotive engineering is concerned. The seller, a friend is now ordering his first kit to.
Times have changed and I have much respect for German made cars. Benchmark in my books.
I am still waiting for the day again when Mecedes Benz pull another rabbit out of the hat in regards to the cost of fuels and these times.
Maybe we might see, if we are lucky, a German made HT Engine ? !
Enjoy the show and we hope to see pictures of your first build and share the expirience.

BoltsM

You think THATS bad

I bought my 1987 Merc 4 years ago from a friend who was an Army air tragffic controler for 1,800 Euros and it was in reasonably good condition, to make a VERY long story short, 4 years and over 9,000 Euros later( over 14,000 American dollars at todays exchange rate), it is now completely restored from the wheels up. I just tell every one that it was a 'hobby car' so they dont think that I am completely insane for putting all of that money into it. Should we be leaving Germany soon, we will be sending the wifes Mini cooper ahead of us by 30 days or so. Sadly, the Merc will get us around until a week or so before we leave, and then I am going to give it to my Neighbor who has 2 boys both nearing legal driving age. I have only put about 4 thousand kilometers on it since I got it and I will be sad to part with it, but the boys will be getting a really great car. Their father is a police detective in nearby Hiedelberg and they are great kids so I am sure it will have a good home. I look forward to getting into gas bicycles. I have a regular peddle powered Cannondale bike that I ride nearly every day that I got when we first came here and will be taking that back to the states when we go. It is a very strong bike and in itself woul be a good candidate for a gas conversion, but at the moment I am leaning towards a 'golden era' gas bike. I just have to decide wether to buy one already restored, or do a restoration myself. Perhaps buy a "Spooky Tooth' --"Quarve' and ride that while I restore something---best regards, Rhett

Thanks to all of you

I want to say thanks to all of you that have been so kind with your comments and sugestions. A couple of you such as Hollywood have asked for some pictures here in Germany, and I do have some recent ones but seem to have a problem posting them. I am on a brand new computer, an HP that is using the VISTA Micro Soft format which is a bit diferent from windows, if any one is interested, or can help me post them, you can get me directly here at home in Germany at-----superiorariel@tks-net.com--Thanks and best regards,, Rhett

I have been in contact with Rhett since he joined up here, he bought an e-bike and had been enjoying riding it when not flying his radio controlled planes and helicopters.

I was saddened to receive an email from his wife Helen this morning informing me Rhett had an accident on his e-bike Monday night and is now in hospital with a serious head injury and is in a coma.

I have no other details, i thought i would mention this here so as those that ride their bicycles without helmets might sit up and take notice what can happen when your head hits something harder than itself....Be safe ALWAYS wear a helmet people.

Thoughts and prayers to Rhett for a full speedy recovery.

KiM

Last edited:
Back