New motor wont start!

DhrtyMike

Local time
11:33 AM
Just bought a new 66cc flying horse. I assembled it to a brand new bike had it running like a top for about 15 min. It started up easy and i let it idle for about 10 min then rode about a block and back to my house. Hit kill switch and it has not started ever since. Ive gone through about every thing tried 2 new carbs 2 new cdi and 1 new mag im getting spark but wont start even with starting fluid. How do i check timing?thanks!

Allright i dont own a compression tester ill have to run to part store and rent one. What should the compression be at?? 100psi?? Is it common to blow a headgasket right out the gate? I have looked at spark plug and it stays dry. Bike feels like it has a lot of resistance but could that be clutch?

Just bought a new 66cc flying horse. I assembled it to a brand new bike had it running like a top for about 15 min. It started up easy and i let it idle for about 10 min then rode about a block and back to my house. Hit kill switch and it has not started ever since. Ive gone through about every thing tried 2 new carbs 2 new cdi and 1 new mag im getting spark but wont start even with starting fluid. How do i check timing?thanks!
Hi Mike Air cooled engines dont like sitting idle they need the air flow to help keep them cool!There should be at least 100 p.s.i and could even be more It's hard to say exactly since no two engines are the same!But it shouldn't be less than that,The timing is fixed and unless you removed the magnet shouldn't be a concern! Do the compression check and look for air leaks around the head gasket also check the torque on head bolts ten to fifteen min of run time and heat on the first run can losen stuff up big time!

yes, new motors can have the head studs loosen up 3 or 4 times in first weeks - if your studs are 8mm, you'll want 12ft/lbs on them with enough washers under the nuts to keep the acorns from binding

I work 70hrs a week im going to find time this weekend to do gaskets. i have a new head will pick up gasket stuff from carquest. i will sand block down on a sheet of glass hopefully that will fix her. It has to be vacuum if im not getting furl to spark plug.

I work 70hrs a week im going to find time this weekend to do gaskets. i have a new head will pick up gasket stuff from carquest. i will sand block down on a sheet of glass hopefully that will fix her. It has to be vacuum if im not getting furl to spark plug.
I would agree with that so then all gaskets and seals should be checked!If there is ample compression it should pull fuel thru it but if the head gasket is leaking even tho the primary compression is there the compression in the combustion chamber bleads off and wont start!

So have you tried disconnecting the kill switch to make sure its not just a faulty kill switch before doing the whole head gasket thing. Might as well rule out the kill switch before doing the whole head gasket on a new engine.

Back