New Vintage Style Walmart Cruiser

I just checked out some other forums on the subject. This was the consensus.....

Quote 1) Steel has been the standard for cheap bikes for a very long time. Weight is a prime factor. In addition, steel rusts.... If you go to someplace where lots of bikes are parked outside for any length of time, like the university where I work, you can pick out the cheap bikes instantly by the nasty rust that starts forming with great speed.
Really cheap bikes have as much steel as possible; even the wheel hubs and such will be made of that material.

Quote 2) Alum. will be lighter, and I think I read somewhere that steel rims get really slick when wet (this is assuming that you are using rim brakes).

Quote 3) The weight of wheels makes a big difference. I notice a huge difference in stopping in the rain on aluminum vs steel.

Quote 4) Alum. wheels are a major, major improvement you can make to an old bike for not much cost. Better braking, especially in rain, and much lighter and faster. Used to be, steel wheels were much cheaper to make than alum. ones. Nowadays, all wheels (basically) are alum, so even cheap alum. ones will be a lot better than steel.

I guess I'll have to mount an engine on aluminum rims and see if I can destroy them

I've got about 2000 miles on a 24 inch aluminum weinmann, it's still as straight as the day I got it

steel and aluminum

I've got about 2000 miles on a 24 inch aluminum weinmann, it's still as straight as the day I got it

The Columbia has a steel frame with the alum. wheels.... If they made the wheels steel as well...... the bike would weigh 100 LBS :cry: The steel frame and alum. rims seems like a nice combination for this purpose. I really don't trust the Chinese bike, but........... for $110, I can afford to keep an open mind! Most people carry a tool kit and trail mix. I'm going to carry bandages and splints......... :unsure:

Back