Newbie First Build/ Best and Cheapest Build?

B

BlvckWisdom

Hey, Im brand new to the entire world of motorized bikes. Needing a quick and cheap method of transportation around my neigborhood and the surrounding area, I started looking into motorized bikes. Im wanting to do my first build and I've only watched a few videos about this, never had any experience w/ a motor before. I want to buy the cheapest bike and 80cc/66cc 2 stroke engine combo that would still be fairly reliable. Im currently thinking for the bike maybe either the Kent Bayside 26" Crusier, the Huffy Nel Lusso, or any other good cruiser for under $150. Also, Ive been seeing alot of people get the universal motor kit off ebay for around $100, but I'm unsure if this is good or is it better to buy one from Gasbike.net or some place like that. Please and thank you guys, any information useful for a new biker would be greatly appreciated.

Your best bet would be to get a good quality used bike. You'll be repairing and replacing stuff anyway, get one with a good strong frame, then put good quality tires on it. You don't want to have flats on the rear, they're a pain to fix. If it has caliper brakes, get a dual pull lever. If it has a coaster brake, install a front brake. As for the engine kit, everyone has their opinions, but they all are built to a low price, the engines themselves are actually pretty good out of the box. The rest of the kits are cheap crap, but will get you on the road till you can upgrade. Welcome to the hobby! There is lots of good info and people on this forum that know their stuff, and are eager to help out a newbie.

I wouldn't get a cruiser at all. If it's bound to break down while you're learning the engine build/maintenance stuff, you'll need something that you can pedal the rest of the way home/to work easily.
Trek 800 is a good old steel mountain bike that you can get cheap, used. It'll have dual pivot brakes and be easier to pedal home. You could probably get two if you don't already have bikes, then you have something to get around on for the next year while you are turning the p.o.s. engine kit into a "cheap, reliable form of transport" haha. I see these as much more a mentally engaging hobby than a cheap form of transport though. :)
If I was in the USA I would never have bought the eBay no-name generic non-Grubee engine. I'd have got the genuine Grubee instead.
Personally, IMHO and all that. ;)

Last edited:
Back