Next project, looking for pointers ahead of time

If you have an alloy frame shouldn't the same alloy be used to repair it with?

if you are welding it there will be stress risers internally to the welded material that will make the repaired area cause new cracks to form. there's a difference between 6000 and 7000 grade aluminum, I think you can get away with welding 7000 grade aluminum easier, there's less annealing or heat treating required for the repaired piece. I suspect they make different welding rod for different aluminum grades.

Ok guys all welding aside lol, i have a 66cc on that exact bike. Basically, the motor doesn't fit. The frame is still solid no cracks yet but i did put suspension forks on it and a 6 speed rear hub and derailleur and front and rear brakes. The wheel base is really small on this bike as well, lean back throttle wheelies are totally a thing. The only reason i used this bike is because i already had it. I would not recommend it to anyone.

I've always heard aluminum should be tig weld if a strong weld is required
Aluminum is probably the most versatile welding mediums on the planet. Stainless steel takes a very skilled welder, and if you want the best of the best, find someone who knows how to weld titanium. I bet if there are bikes out there that are titanium, they are probably the best for motorized.

Back