no idea what to do

remove the rear mount to drop the whole thing lower in the frame, and use steel plate and muffler clamps to attach the engine to the bike

ok, so the back mount fits fine and i can use all the standard stuff on the back mount, its the front mount that keeps the engine from fitting. without the studs the front will fit, but if i put a plate and then a clamp of some sort it will not fit because the plate eats up about a half inch of space that is needed for the engine to fit.
im still open to suggestions but am also looking for a new frame

You have to bang the sides of the tube with a hammer I just mounted a motor to this exact frame today.

i have a week before i start building and i dont think im going to crimp the tube. it seems like a quick and easy "fix" but with more people saying not to than to, im going to go with the safer option. better safe than sorry right

Is it really that bad? It mostly just slightly dented near where the bolts are just so they fit.

This may help you (I just finished the exact same bike recently)

1.jpg2.jpg3.jpg4.jpg
1. Take the studs out. Go to a hardware store like Lowes and screw the stud in to one of their bolt measurement things and replace the stud with a matching sized metric bolt to go on the universal motor mount. (make sure if you can to get or make a curved plate like in the photos, this bike is a tight fit.) I managed to build this without a slant head.
a. Take the studs out by using a 2 nut method and begin to unscrew the one closest to the engine. (screw them both onto the stud)

2. I had to use a small vice to shape my u-bolt in sort of a V-like shape, like the down tube on the bike is shaped. I placed something in between the U-bolt while it is in the vice as I closed the vice and squeezed it. this was to keep the threads straight as I closed the U-bolt gap (my U-bolt was a 5/16 x2" x 4.5) zinc plated one.

3. Once I shaped the Ubolt I then had to file the 2 holes in the motor mount plate (where the ubolt goes) closer together with a round metal file to allow the newly shaped ubolt to slide through.

3. The extra u bolt length I just cut off with a "cutoff tool"

Now this worked pretty well for me, it takes some elbow grease but worked.
You will probably need to get a "Z" or "offset" intake manifold to get the carburetor to fit on this bike. I do not have a slant head to I had to shorten the spark plug boot and shave the boot head a bit.
it runs great! good luck to you.

Last edited:
Back