Opened her up!

Frogslayer

Local time
12:59 AM
This is one of those cheap blue batteries from Ebay. I was bucking a good headwind for about 3 miles pulling 500 watts over the batteries rating and then nothing. Thankfully I still had pedals to finish my 7 mile trip. Looks like something on the BMS is fried. Smells terrible like burnt electronics.
20200905_092824.jpg

Ya never seem to save money by using the cheapest possible component. I have been using a pair of EM3ev triangle packs for 4 years now. They both have over 750 charge cycles on them and I can't see or feel a discernable difference in their performance. When you are trying to get a useful long life out of something it's usually necessary to top-drawer, and then treat and maintain it with respect. I'd suggest looking at DHGate.com for decent large capacity packs. They ring in at about 1/2 the cost of what production ebike companies charge per amp-hour. They aren't water-proof, neither are mine from EM3, but with a good triangle bag, they do just fine... even here in the PNW. Ya may not be able to tell from pictures I have been taking but it rains here quite a bit. Ride safe.

This is one of those cheap blue batteries from Ebay. I was bucking a good headwind for about 3 miles pulling 500 watts over the batteries rating and then nothing. Thankfully I still had pedals to finish my 7 mile trip. Looks like something on the BMS is fried. Smells terrible like burnt electronics.
View attachment 99348
I was wondering how long that $180 cheep china blue battery was gonna last.
I guess using that 1,500w wheel hub put too much draw on that 1,000w battery.
I guessing the battery would of been OK if it's not pushed to deliver more w that it's designed for 750w and 1,000w
Question, can ya hook up a new BMS?

New BMS came early! Got it all soldered up and put back in. I didn't run the main power through the BMS just the charging wires. I won't have an lvc but I think the controller has one anyway. Plugged her in and the bike works and it seems to charge so I'm stitching it all back up and hitting the trails!

Back