Phantom 85 build.

FrankHorrigan6

Local time
1:41 AM
Decided to get back into bikes after a year of building guns and other boom booms. I’m starting with a bastardised phantom 85. It’s a v2 jug with a v3 bottom end. I’m gonna run a stuffed dio reed with a oko 21 and cdh67. May stuff the case with Dlh perfomance stuffing plates and jbweld.
Already ported the jug for max powa.
Cut the top off to run a Cnc head for better cooling. Still un decided on which crank to run, the rdm crank, af80 or zmn100. Still undecided on which piston to to run, either 110 piston or my custom pop up ms460 piston.

Attachments

• IMG_4106.jpeg
    IMG_4106.jpeg
    79.1 KB · Views: 127
  • IMG_4017.jpeg
    IMG_4017.jpeg
    108.7 KB · Views: 115
  • IMG_4040.jpeg
    IMG_4040.jpeg
    152.7 KB · Views: 113
  • IMG_3910.jpeg
    IMG_3910.jpeg
    194.4 KB · Views: 139
  • IMG_3913.jpeg
    IMG_3913.jpeg
    243.9 KB · Views: 122
IMG_4389.jpeg

Ordered a new piston just to have a back up. The new 110 52mm pistons now has three rings. Decided to weigh and mic them. The new 3 ring piston was heaviest and widest at 105.37 grams with the rings and 51.78mm wide without including the rings. My 2 ring 110 piston that has its corned clipped and holes in the exhaust skirt drilled weighed 102.03 grams and measured 51.67mm. The stock piston that came with it weighed 98.45 grams and measured 51.43. The last piston is a pop up ms460 piston with a custom intake window and no holes drilled weighed 94.49 grams and measured 51.52mm. Next step is to assemble the engine and start building me cdis.

View attachment 193827Ordered a new piston just to have a back up. The new 110 52mm pistons now has three rings. Decided to weigh and mic them. The new 3 ring piston was heaviest and widest at 105.37 grams with the rings and 51.78mm wide without including the rings. My 2 ring 110 piston that has its corned clipped and holes in the exhaust skirt drilled weighed 102.03 grams and measured 51.67mm. The stock piston that came with it weighed 98.45 grams and measured 51.43. The last piston is a pop up ms460 piston with a custom intake window and no holes drilled weighed 94.49 grams and measured 51.52mm. Next step is to assemble the engine and start building me cdis.
That's great information.

Decided to get back into bikes after a year of building guns and other boom booms. I’m starting with a bastardised phantom 85. It’s a v2 jug with a v3 bottom end. I’m gonna run a stuffed dio reed with a oko 21 and cdh67. May stuff the case with Dlh perfomance stuffing plates and jbweld.
Already ported the jug for max powa.
Cut the top off to run a Cnc head for better cooling. Still un decided on which crank to run, the rdm crank, af80 or zmn100. Still undecided on which piston to to run, either 110 piston or my custom pop up ms460 piston.
How in the heck’s did you cut off the head from the jug and what aftermarket head would fit? Asking for a friend.

How in the heck’s did you cut off the head from the jug and what aftermarket head would fit? Asking for a friend.
Same stud spacing as an LD100 and YD100. There are heads out there.

How to de-lid the cylinder? A mill ideally. Seen guys do it with band Saws and hack Saws too, but I personally wouldn't.

Honestly, I have yet to overheat my Phantom, and I have my squish set at .9mm. They do run on the toasty side, but considering the power they make, it's not surprising. Still can't hurt, and I wish they would have gone with a pop-top for V3.

Also, for the record, there is zero difference between the late V2 bottom ends and v3. Both are needle bearing. Only thing changed on V3 was the top end and piston.

Same stud spacing as an LD100 and YD100. There are heads out there.

How to de-lid the cylinder? A mill ideally. Seen guys do it with band Saws and hack Saws too, but I personally wouldn't.

Honestly, I have yet to overheat my Phantom, and I have my squish set at .9mm. They do run on the toasty side, but considering the power they make, it's not surprising. Still can't hurt, and I wish they would have gone with a pop-top for V3.

Also, for the record, there is zero difference between the late V2 bottom ends and v3. Both are needle bearing. Only thing changed on V3 was the top end and piston.
Is it really necessary to put a different head in it? I get the cooling factor, but there are ways to avoid overheating. I will shut my bike off at a long stop sign or stop light so it doesn't overheating, and I don't go wot everywhere. If you treat your bike like a motorized bicycle and not a hot rod it'll last alot longer.

Back