Phatmoto ... Any Good?

FrizzleFried

Local time
4:00 AM
Are Phatmoto bikes any good as a 4-stroke bike? About what are they worth ... parts-wise? What would be a good price to pay for one if I came across one?

Right... but if I came across a Phatmoto for a decent price... does it make a decent starting point? The frame looks pretty nice... I like the jackshaft being built in the frame... etc...

Right... but if I came across a Phatmoto for a decent price... does it make a decent starting point? The frame looks pretty nice... I like the jackshaft being built in the frame... etc...
How much power are you going to run through it? I think Greasy Chris snapped his right at the drop out.

They do make a good starting point, I think they are aluminum, sowouldn't put too much power in one though

They do make a good starting point, I think they are aluminum, sowouldn't put too much power in one though
They are and big motors like 212 predator tend to cause cracks. Honda gx100 or lifan 154f are as big as I'd go, personally.

They're ok as a starting point. If not done already, they need to have wheel bearings upgraded, as they tend to come with little or no grease and it's not uncommon to only have 7 balls instead of the 9 required. I suggest sealed ball bearings (number 6000ZZ), that can be tapped into the bearing cup. Jackshaft bearings (number 6202 2RS) should also be replaced. Front forks are garbage. As are both stock motor-side chains. All bolts need loctite and upgrading the more critical bolts with higher quality is seriously recommended (rear brake/sprocket boths, in particular).

A used one, in good condx is worth maybe $800, if the upgrades have been done. If stock, 500 to 600 is all I'd give. For reference, i bought mine new and paid full price.

they need to have wheel bearings upgraded, as they tend to come with little or no grease and it's not uncommon to only have 7 balls instead of the 9 required. I suggest sealed ball bearings (number 6000ZZ), that can be tapped into the bearing cup. Jackshaft bearings (number 6202 2RS) should also be replaced. Front forks are garbage. As are both stock motor-side chains. All bolts need loctite and upgrading the more critical bolts with higher quality is seriously recommended (rear brake/sprocket boths, in particular).
So in other words, just rebuild the entire thing because it is basically junk right from the factory???...lol...lol.

They are and big motors like 212 predator tend to cause cracks. Honda gx100 or lifan 154f are as big as I'd go, personally.

They're ok as a starting point. If not done already, they need to have wheel bearings upgraded, as they tend to come with little or no grease and it's not uncommon to only have 7 balls instead of the 9 required. I suggest sealed ball bearings (number 6000ZZ), that can be tapped into the bearing cup. Jackshaft bearings (number 6202 2RS) should also be replaced. Front forks are garbage. As are both stock motor-side chains. All bolts need loctite and upgrading the more critical bolts with higher quality is seriously recommended (rear brake/sprocket boths, in particular).

A used one, in good condx is worth maybe $800, if the upgrades have been done. If stock, 500 to 600 is all I'd give. For reference, i bought mine new and paid full price.
I'd put a Briggs flatly on one if I got one

I looked into them quite extensively when I was thinking of using the same engine in one for a bike, the bearings seem junk, the forks are bad and while they seem to be reliable after a few upgrades. they don't seem to be particularly sporty or great for hills or heavy people. with a few upgrades they seem to be reliable and quiet, but since the frames are alloy (as mentioned above) I wouldn't think they're great for large motors

Back