Please help picking first bike kit

And a couple more things:

Make sure your kit includes a wide crankset. 4-strokes are pretty wide, and a wide crankset will keep the pedals from hitting the engine and/or trans.

A coaster brake will work, but whether it works well enough is for you to decide. Good enough to start with, then you can upgrade later.

Get a helmet. You may never need it, but things happen pretty fast at 30 mph on a bike.

Not the only resign to were one, if you have a helmet on the police are less likely to stop you. ..........Curt

Most any "cruiser" bike with a big frame will have room for the 49cc engine. I would think that if you buy the bike and engine kit from the same place they would work together (could be wishful thinking on my part).

Get a kit with a belt drive. The chain-drive transmissions have problems like stretchy chains and fragile input shafts:
View attachment 82668

That's the second one I've busted. A bike you can't trust is a bike you won't ride, and what's the point of that?

Thanks a lot for this insight on a kit with a belt drive. I'm unfamiliar with everything, even a simple bicycle so really appreciate it!

And a couple more things:

Make sure your kit includes a wide crankset. 4-strokes are pretty wide, and a wide crankset will keep the pedals from hitting the engine and/or trans.

A coaster brake will work, but whether it works well enough is for you to decide. Good enough to start with, then you can upgrade later.

Get a helmet. You may never need it, but things happen pretty fast at 30 mph on a bike.

I'm in the Army so required to wear a helmet, daddy won't let me get away without it. I'd wear one anyways since I know something is bound to mess up somewhere down the line.

Also one question in regards to bike size. I’ve seen some 20”, 24” and 26” bikes. Is there a recommmended size to go with?

I’m 6” and 185 lbs. I’ll be using the bike to ride to work almost daily.

I'm in the Army so required to wear a helmet, daddy won't let me get away without it. I'd wear one anyways since I know something is bound to mess up somewhere down the line.

That simplifies your shipping problem. APO is considered domestic, so anything from the USA will sail right through. Domestic shipping rates, no customs hassles.

6' and 185 you probably want a 26-inch bike, unless you're built like a gorilla with short legs. The number refers to the wheel size. All other things being equal, bigger wheels roll easier, and it'll be a lot easier to hit your 30 mph target with a big wheel.

Also one question in regards to bike size. I’ve seen some 20”, 24” and 26” bikes. Is there a recommmended size to go with?

I’m 6” and 185 lbs. I’ll be using the bike to ride to work almost daily.

You should also consider friction drive with the 4-stroke 49cc motor; it is the easiest to setup and can be disengaged so you use the bike as a normal bike.

Back