Please help picking first bike kit

napoleonpp

Local time
7:45 AM
Hello everyone I've recently been looking into getting a motorized bike kit and hoping I can get some help from the experts. I've decided I want a 4 stroke and will use the bike to commute to work which is about a 10 minute drive on slow roads. I would like a bike that can go at least 30 MPH if possible and a maximum price of $400 if possible, may be able to go slightly higher but would rather not. A few questions I am hoping to get some work on.

1) How many cc's do I need to go at least 30 MPH? As you can tell I know nothing about engines.

2) So far I'm looking at gasbike and bikeberry. Is one better than the other? What are some others to look at? I was looking at bicyclemotorworks.com because they have some great looking bikes but they appear to only be 2 stroke.

3) How difficult is it to install a speedometer if one is not included in the kit? Just out of curiosity.

4) About how long does it take a beginner building a kit?

5) Are any special tools required? I'm in South Korea at the moment so don't have many tools to build this but could order some here and there if needed.

Also any other tips to keep in mind while looking would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Before you begin, and just as a reminder because some new potential riders are just too excited to get started, but did you make sure this is legal in South Korea?

1. For a normal sized rider a 49cc 4-stroke engine should take you to 30 mph on a flat road with no wind

2. Your shipping location might be a problem with some vendors though you can just go to China and pick up a kit or eBay something from China/aliexpress probably cheaper this way... But, the 4G is considered to be the best kit and the Gasbike Hoot considered to be the worst.

https://www.bicycle-engines.com/49cc-4g-t-belt-drive-complete-gas-powered-engine-kit/

3. Less than 2 minutes. Most have a magnet sensor on the front fork and magnet on the wheel

4. Take your time but it should take half a day to a day

5. Just basic wrenches though you will need a proper size chain breaker (not bicycle chain size) and drill for (throttle). Though even for the throttle you can get away with maybe tape and strong glue. Might have to have a pedal crank removal tool too... I did not go for wide pedal cranks and am fine. I just dont pedal a certain way and you don't pedal much anyways

6. Also, make sure your bike can fit the kit as 4-strokes are much bigger than 2-strokes.

It's going to take longer than you think, and the first time you'll probably end up doing a lot of things twice.

Selecting the right bike is important. You want something with lots of room in the frame and GOOD BRAKES. Things happen fast at 30 mph on a bike.

Before you begin, and just as a reminder because some new potential riders are just too excited to get started, but did you make sure this is legal in South Korea?

1. For a normal sized rider a 49cc 4-stroke engine should take you to 30 mph on a flat road with no wind

2. Your shipping location might be a problem with some vendors though you can just go to China and pick up a kit or eBay something from China/aliexpress probably cheaper this way... But, the 4G is considered to be the best kit and the Gasbike Hoot considered to be the worst.

https://www.bicycle-engines.com/49cc-4g-t-belt-drive-complete-gas-powered-engine-kit/

3. Less than 2 minutes. Most have a magnet sensor on the front fork and magnet on the wheel

4. Take your time but it should take half a day to a day

5. Just basic wrenches though you will need a proper size chain breaker (not bicycle chain size) and drill for (throttle). Though even for the throttle you can get away with maybe tape and strong glue. Might have to have a pedal crank removal tool too... I did not go for wide pedal cranks and am fine. I just dont pedal a certain way and you don't pedal much anyways

6. Also, make sure your bike can fit the kit as 4-strokes are much bigger than 2-strokes.

Thanks for the reply. I honestly don’t know the laws here but have seen one driving through the Army gate to get to his apartment off base and saw another driving on base. The one on base parked at the store and it didn’t appear to have a license plate. Although I can’t be sure. I hope I don’t has to register it because I’m only allowed to bring one car to Korea with me and already have my car I brought from the states.

I’ll take a look at that engine you linked. However, the thing I liked about gasbike and bikeberry was that they include a bike in with the price. The cheapest bike I find around me here is $130, which puts me over my budget. Plus then I wouldn’t have to worry about measuring to make sure it fits.

I’m glad to hear that I would only need a 49cc engine to go about 30 MPH. Out of curiosity is there a reason I would choose a 49cc engine kit over a 79cc kit when the 79cc is only $40 more?

I really appreciate the help.

Out of curiosity is there a reason I would choose a 49cc engine kit over a 79cc kit when the 79cc is only $40 more?

A lot of the choice has to do with local laws. Here in Ohio, anything under 50cc isn't really an engine, so an MB is legally just a bicycle. No license required, no plate, no nuthin. 80cc makes it a moped. I think a full-on motorcycle is 125cc, at which point you need a motorcycle driver's license, plate, insurance, and all that bother.

I have no idea what the laws are in Korea (if any).

A lot of the choice has to do with local laws. Here in Ohio, anything under 50cc isn't really an engine, so an MB is legally just a bicycle. No license required, no plate, no nuthin. 80cc makes it a moped. I think a full-on motorcycle is 125cc, at which point you need a motorcycle driver's license, plate, insurance, and all that bother.

I have no idea what the laws are in Korea (if any).

Thanks for the reply. I was looking at bike berry but they seem to have a lot of negative reviews. I’m thinking about buying a bike such as one of the ones below. Although the handle bars on the second one appear to be pointed towards the sky which seems like it would be an awkward ride, unless the picture is misleading. Also one of them is 20” and the other 26”. Is this personal preference or should I consider one over the other? I’m 6’ and 185 lbs and this will be used to ride to work almost daily.

https://www.spookytoothcycles.com/b...en-s-beach-cruisers/20-micargi-mens-hero.html

https://www.spookytoothcycles.com/b...ers/26-micargi-men-s-touch-beach-cruiser.html

I’m also considering these two engines below. Although I’d have to check to see if they would ship to Korea. If you were to pick one over the other then which one would you pick?

The Titan Magnum 4 in the bottom left.

http://thatsdax.com/

Would I need anything else in addition to the bike and engine kits that I’ve linked? One thing I’ve noticed is there doesn’t appear to be brakes on the handle bars on the bikes I linked and I don’t think they are included in the engine kits.

Also is there a way I can ensure the engine I choose out of the two does fit in the bike I choose online?

Sorry I’m new at this and would like to ensure I get this right the first try. I especially want to ensure I don’t have to deal with customer service if possible since I live in a different country.

This is where it gets tricky for folks here to give you advice because you are located in South Korea and we do not know the local laws (if any) or the shipping restrictions of the major motorized bike vendors (gasbike, bikeberry, bicycle-engines). But for you there is an uniquely third option also which is just buying direct from China/Hong Kong via eBay and AliBaba or whatever is over there. I can see that saving you a lot in terms of overall retail price and shipping.

I would try to flag down or hunt those service members that you've seen on motorized bicycles and ask where they got their kits and what the local laws are.

Buying from spooky tooth cycles is the same as BIkeBerry. They are the same company.

The Bicycles-Engines 4 G is the best kit.

Thanks for the reply. I was looking at bike berry but they seem to have a lot of negative reviews.

The Titan Magnum 4 in the bottom left.

http://thatsdax.com/

Would I need anything else in addition to the bike and engine kits that I’ve linked? One thing I’ve noticed is there doesn’t appear to be brakes on the handle bars on the bikes I linked and I don’t think they are included in the engine kits.

Also is there a way I can ensure the engine I choose out of the two does fit in the bike I choose online?

I’m glad to hear that I would only need a 49cc engine to go about 30 MPH. Out of curiosity is there a reason I would choose a 49cc engine kit over a 79cc kit when the 79cc is only $40 more?

I really appreciate the help.

The 79cc kit is a bit more complicated to build and might require additional work. The 49cc kits are very common and worked out.

Most any "cruiser" bike with a big frame will have room for the 49cc engine. I would think that if you buy the bike and engine kit from the same place they would work together (could be wishful thinking on my part).

Get a kit with a belt drive. The chain-drive transmissions have problems like stretchy chains and fragile input shafts:
DSC00511.JPG

That's the second one I've busted. A bike you can't trust is a bike you won't ride, and what's the point of that?

Back