Project 29er With Twin CY460 Engines!

5-7,
I gotta see video of this one when you get it on the road. 'A picture says a thousand words', but 'a video speaks novels'...
I've spent the last day day-dreaming about one day adding that second stage 2 pocketbike engine to my Rocky Mountain RM7 MTB thanks to you...
-lowracer-

Yes, pics & video.

Right now, I'm in the "gathering" stage. Twin-engine gearbox will be returned to Staton for repairs. The second 460 engine to be shipped to me soon. Wheels, frame and NV hub are at the bike shop.

The second engine is to add additional torque. It will come in handy on hills and ramps. It also lessens the load imposed on each engine. It may also get you out of a tight spot, if more power is needed to scoot out of harm's way.

And then there's that sweet sound of two engines idling at a stop.:cool:

AND the drone of both powerplants pulling from low through midrange.

He's got a Goped Riot. These clutch springs are an ABSOLUTE requirement.

Don't see why they wouldn't work for gearing on a bike, tho. That engine is supposed to spin at like 12,000 RPM. It's insane.

Can't remember how we put the springs in, but it was a biznatch. Don't understand why those don't come stock, tho.

He's got a Goped Riot. These clutch springs are an ABSOLUTE requirement.

Don't see why they wouldn't work for gearing on a bike, tho. That engine is supposed to spin at like 12,000 RPM. It's insane.

Can't remember how we put the springs in, but it was a biznatch. Don't understand why those don't come stock, tho.

I had a hunch it was a goped. The 8,000rpm springs would work on a hobby-type scooter. It is not a wise choice for a motorized bicycle in gridlocked traffic on a steep hill.

An MB with high rpm clutch springs would be instantly noticeable every time you hit the throttle hard, and there'd be no cruising past the police quietly down the road.:whistle:

I believe design defect is the reason for clutch spring failure. I think the spring end simply slips off the clutch post. The Mits/Tanaka/Robin single spring is a better design (although I DID have the Robin spring fall off the clutch too).:geek:

Would probly be a bit louder, yes.... I just know I wouldn't want to be replacing my clutch springs every other week.

Just searched and saw that Skopod might have springs that engage more toward 6,000 rpm or so... and are better than stock.

Why wouldn't clutch springs engaging at 8,000 rpm be good in gridlocked uphill traffic, tho??? The longer the clutch springs go without engaging, the more acceleration and torque you will get in the extra 3 milliseconds it takes to engage. Optimum torque range seems to be around 9,000 rpm. So that seems to be right on the money.

Would probly be a bit louder, yes.... I just know I wouldn't want to be replacing my clutch springs every other week.

Just searched and saw that Skopod might have springs that engage more toward 6,000 rpm or so... and are better than stock.

Why wouldn't clutch springs engaging at 8,000 rpm be good in gridlocked uphill traffic, tho??? The longer the clutch springs go without engaging, the more acceleration and torque you will get in the extra 3 milliseconds it takes to engage. Optimum torque range seems to be around 9,000 rpm. So that seems to be right on the money.

Think about it, sparky. If you're stuck in traffic, would you want a guy on his MB, moped or motorcycle continuously zinging his engine to 6000/8000rpm next to you while you're crawling in traffic?

In Hawaii, we have thousands of high-performance obnoxious mopeds who constantly stab their throttle every two seconds or so, while riding. It sounds like the mating calls of the Hawaiian moped. The drivers are the "cool" guys wearing shorts, tee shirt and rubber slippers and no safety gear, ripping down the streets 24/7.

I don't want to be associated with that crowd. If I install 4,000/6,000/8,000rpm springs, my motorized bike will sound EXACTLY like a loud moped.

For my needs, 3,000 rpm clutch springs will work fine. That's about what's in most of the engines used here. And that's why my 460 engine sits on the shelf.....until I can find a reliable clutch with lower rpm springs.

Like I said before, I guess it's okay if your motorized toy is used occasionally. Once the MB becomes a daily commuter, ya don't wanna upset the other drivers on the road.

In Hawaii, we have much fewer roads and MANY cars on the road. A lot of them are stressed out in rush hour traffic, and I don't want to upset them.

Whatever works for your friend on his goped, more power to him.

Last edited:
Yea, gridlocked for me is 50mph.

Long, straight roads mean everybody is constantly passing. We don't really have gridlocked traffic, I guess.

That's why Mississippians AVERAGE above the interstate speed limits (70 mph). More than 50% of people are speeding, and likely closer to 60 or 70% to cancel out the 65 mph grannies. :)

Back