Pull Starter Broke my Bike

LWalker

Local time
2:32 PM
Hey Everyone,

So yesterday I made a post about installing/using a pull starter. Now I am making a post that 1 day later, the pull starter seems to have broken my bike.

Heres what happened - I installed the pull starter and tried to start it that way, pretty intensively, for 30 minutes or so. Finally, I gave up and tried to start it by peddling. It started but there was no power, and a LOT of backfiring which has never happened before. I looked down a saw a hole and been blown clear through the casing of my pull start. I think it must have been the nut that holds the magnet in place because when I removed the pull start that was missing. Anyways I replaced the missing nut, put the normal cover back on and tried to start up.

The bike still isn't working. It starts but with no power and backfires like crazy. My suspicion is the pull start damaged my electrical system (although the magneto looks fine). Does anyone have any suggestions? I REALLY need this bike working by tomorrow afternoon.

Note: the popping / backfiring seems to happen when I twist the throttle open from idle

When you put the recoil on, is there a cup you have to put on the crank nut? Sounds like the mag slipped and the timing is off now. Check that key for the mag is an the crank and mag and each groove.

Remind me again why you needed a pull start? You can easily start your bike by lifting the rear and pushing down on the pedal.

take the nut off and remove the pull start and check the magnet, loose nut can damage the woodruff key. If it’s bent or worn you will have to replace it, if you don’t have one you can grind one using a piece of nail or similar. It needs to be hardened metal. Recently had similar happen to a customer but his coil got damaged also from the loose pull start mechanism on top of a damaged magnet.

Thanks everyone, ill take the magnet off and take a look. @Chainlube can you just explain what you mean by "Check that key for the mag is an the crank and mag and each groove,"? Are you suggesting to check the magnet's woodruff key?

So the magnet is completely stuck on the bolt because of course it is. Going to remove the magneto and try to lever it out

The magnet is really REALLY stuck on there. I've tried using penetrating oil, levering it, I even tapped with a hammer to try and loosen it up. How terrible of an idea would it be to drill out of the woodruff key....?

I've got an extra key I just don't want to mess up the rest of my bike

Back