Remove bearings from Mag Wheel?

Not sure if you are serious or being "Karl"? CDH just replied and said not to try and remove them my self but take to a bike shop as the wheel is easily damaged as they were installed by machines.... Am I going to have the same issue installing the replacements? I am a decent mechanic but without task specific tools or previous experience (have not removed bike axle bearings before but have done headsets and cranks and have the tools for those)...
slice races close to through. Take flat blade in cut, twist. Pull old bearing out. Find your press, find your bits, press new bearing in.

whiskey is for you.

I used a hammer and piece of wood on top of the bearing. Just be gentle and make sure it goes in even. I think some use the bottom of a socket as the "piece of wood" since a socket will have a flat bottom.

When you do this, use those pieces of lumber directly on the bottom of the hub.
Ok... upon closer inspection, It looks like Karls "destructive" removal method might be in order. It looks like there is a sleeve between the bearings the same diameter as the inner bushing leaving no "lip" to catch on the other side... "blind"....

Attachments

• IMG_1927.JPG
    IMG_1927.JPG
    101.6 KB · Views: 98
  • IMG_1928.JPG
    IMG_1928.JPG
    112 KB · Views: 96
Ok... upon closer inspection, It looks like Karls "destructive" removal method might be in order. It looks like there is a sleeve between the bearings the same diameter as the inner bushing leaving no "lip" to catch on the other side... "blind"....
You can buy a race cracker, buy why when you already have the tools to do it.

on second thought, a race cracker might damage the rim.

Microscopic lip :ROFLMAO:. I had to hit it like 100 times (small exaggeration) where it felt like it was slipping off the microscopic lip. Then, boom, I had enough room.

See if you can get a blunt punch, flat tip screwdriver, anything to catch that microscopic lip and start punching out a bearing
I know you can do it

Or it's back to Karl post #2 That works I've done it

Microscopic lip :ROFLMAO:. I had to hit it like 100 times (small exaggeration) where it felt like it was slipping off the microscopic lip. Then, boom, I had enough room.
Ok... so I guess what I see is what is expected. I guess I thought there would be a "hollow" area between the inner and outer bearings inside the hub. I am going to the bike shop tomorrow with the wheel and find out if they can and will do it and what the $$$$ will be. Hope it is not sticker shock to add a bunch of money to wheels that I already paid $144 and had to supply my own Disc brake components to. The BSberry wheels that I got like Damiens include all of the brake parts for $154. I guess only having damaged brake disc from that purchase makes this problem with the CDH wheels seem more of a head ache. The good news is as Karl has testified, CDH has been very responsive via email with very quick responses.

While were talking about cutting up bearings. They make great spacers

When I've needed Spacers before
I've used spacers made from ID of the bearing by cutting off the OD and
I've used spacers made from the OD bearings by cutting out the ID

Ok... so I guess what I see is what is expected. I guess I thought there would be a "hollow" area between the inner and outer bearings inside the hub. I am going to the bike shop tomorrow with the wheel and find out if they can and will do it and what the $$$$ will be. Hope it is not sticker shock to add a bunch of money to wheels that I already paid $144 and had to supply my own Disc brake components to. The BSberry wheels that I got like Damiens include all of the brake parts for $154. I guess only having damaged brake disc from that purchase makes this problem with the CDH wheels seem more of a head ache. The good news is as Karl has testified, CDH has been very responsive via email with very quick responses.
Oh also. The new bearings. Just put them in the freezer overnight until you are gonna install them. They will slip right in.

theoretically

You can do it man! Trust me I was super intimidated myself when tackling this. I KNEW I was gonna mess something up and cuss myself. But once I shrugged off the possible loss and dug in, it was easy peasy and I kind of felt silly for being so intimidated by it.

Back