Replacing Axle

Are sealed bearings for the MB mags something that bike shops would carry? I am going to go ahead and replace the bearings while I have it all apart.
replacing them is a good idea and take what you pull out to the bike shop to see if they can match them to what they may have on hand is the best way to find out if they can do this.

I got that tool. Weekend with the family so no work done. I did try to do a quick, "let's see if this comes off" and nope. When I bought it the guy at the bike shop gave me a tip to put the tool in a vise and use the wheel for torquing. Now I have to buy a vise and workbench... nah just kidding. I know tricks. I will get it off tomorrow if it doesn't rain.

I hope the bike shop has a replacement handy. Are sealed bearing axles different than regular bearing axles? Are sealed bearings for the MB mags something that bike shops would carry? I am going to go ahead and replace the bearings while I have it all apart.
Yes they are totally different axle, my sealed bearing hub has a stepped area on axle & spacers to set wheel bearing preload.

I got that tool. Weekend with the family so no work done. I did try to do a quick, "let's see if this comes off" and nope. When I bought it the guy at the bike shop gave me a tip to put the tool in a vise and use the wheel for torquing. Now I have to buy a vise and workbench... nah just kidding. I know tricks. I will get it off tomorrow if it doesn't rain.

I hope the bike shop has a replacement handy. Are sealed bearing axles different than regular bearing axles? Are sealed bearings for the MB mags something that bike shops would carry? I am going to go ahead and replace the bearings while I have it all apart.
What speed freewheel do you have

It is a 6 speed. I also need about an inch and a... as much room possible for the sprocket and rotor to mount on the other side. It all fits with the original axle, I guess I will just bring it in because I will explain what I need in my way and they will look at me cross-eyed. Maybe they have an axle stretcher in the back for custom fitting, lulz.

It is a 6 speed. I also need about an inch and a... as much room possible for the sprocket and rotor to mount on the other side. It all fits with the original axle, I guess I will just bring it in because I will explain what I need in my way and they will look at me cross-eyed. Maybe they have an axle stretcher in the back for custom fitting, lulz.
So are you running a left side engine drive on a 3x6 pedal drive

Yessir. It is a 1x6. It was a 7-speed bicycle so I finagle the selector. I guess I can put a 22 tooth on there, but if I don't have to I'd rather not. I like being able to choose gears.

previously I was running a 56 tooth sprocket with the stock brakes. I bent the axle in early December I think but discovered it a few days ago when I was swapping to a 36 tooth and disc brakes. I am obsessed with disc brakes idunno why... besides living.

Yes I plan to run left side engine drive with right side pedal drive.

I was going down a dirt path and there was a small wash across the road. I hopped over it and when I landed the chain snapped. I had chain issues after that, suspected a bent axle but chose to ignore it for the moment and adjusted the chain a few times until I found a sweet spot. But when I took the wheel off, I saw it and it could no longer be ignored.

Here's how a 3x6 gets shifted lowest to highest ratios.

1(1-4); 2(2-5); 3(4-6) for 11 sequential non redundant ratios.

Starting gears are:

Starts going up hill be in 1(1) before stopping; then use 1(1) as your starting gear. All other starts use 2(2).

If a gear is too easy or too hard to comfortably maintain a cadence (crank rpm) of 70-90 it means you're in the wrong gear or your ratio range isn't wide enough. Get a bicycle computer with a cadence meter on it.

Never cross chain big big or little little 3(1) or 1(6).
Never stand while shifting.
Never use both shifters at the same time.
Never shift while pedaling backwards.

I also advise getting a tachometer, with a multi ratio bike you'll have more options for pedal assisting up hills and/or load pulling.

Thank you. Hopefully, I spend as little time pedaling as possible and I won't need that, lol.

I got a 1x6 and 99% of the time it doesn't change gears. I got it in granny gear. If I change gears, something went wrong.

Tell you what, having that derailleur (Funny I was waiting for Grammarly to tell me how to spell that, but I got it right the first time!) was nice when the chain broke 2.5 miles from home.

Back