Stolen REWARD: Stolen: motored bike! Northern California

I just have an old combo lock that could probably be either figured out by pulling & dialing or just sawed through. I'm getting nervous now.

I just have an old combo lock that could probably be either figured out by pulling & dialing or just sawed through. I'm getting nervous now.

you should be...combo locks are the easiest, because they can be knocked open with a hammer. one whack downward, and it's all over.
dont worry about how i know. :-/

Well - this bike has made it nearly a year, and she's finally starting to clank above 20 mph, and at certain low idle speeds - I think it's the piston bushing. I've read here about the modified/upgraded dacs70, and that's beginning to look like my next conquest.

It is archaic that we have to resort to chaining our things up to keep people from running off with them. I'm going to drill a couple 2" diameter holes in the concrete pad at home and at work, and cement in my own private, secure parking - complete with built in locks. Since the two places I usually go are home and work, I can leave a lock locked to each of my hitching posts. I've been trying to figure out what I could use that would be secure, and thought of trying a U-Lock - just the U. Sort of stick it into the 2' holes I'll drill like a big staple, and set it in with some 10,000 psi cement. I thought if I made two sets of holes in each location, and put two U-Locks in, and spaced them about the distance between my font and rear tire, then I would have more than ample opportunity to lock the rear whell/frame and front wheel with onlt two acual U-Locks, which I could just leave locked on the ground all the time. Lets see, that's 6 U-Locks, plus another lock to have on the bike for when I go to the store... paranoid?

Maybe I'll start by mounting a single hoop at home, since that's where my previous bike was stolen from. I still think I hear it every once and awhile. Anyone know of some good, strong, stock bike hitches? I guess most people just use a tree or something - I'd just like something a little more elegant - to match my bike, of course!

hey dude, when i had to keep my minibike outdoors, i cemented a heavy dutey chain that held up my dads CAR! and cemented it into a loop in the ground, and got the other half of that chain, and used it around my minibike frame, probablly woulduve been quicker for the thieves to saw through the bike frame then that chain. as for stealing.... i would reccomend going to your local thrift store, and buy an old junker cam that you can hook up to a vcr, and mount it wherever, and just put it in like a clear bin and poke a hole for the lens, cheap security cam, and then when they try to cut your locks, you just call the cops give em the tape, and they get 5-15 :) (i watch it takes a theif alot lol)

eltatertoto,

I saw your vids - cool bike! I feel like that trailer might land you in the hospital though... those angle brackets in the picture already show signs of fatigue. I found a set of blueprints at a free patent searching website that I think you might like to see. It's mostly a metal design, but the "math" has already been done, and it looks like with a dozen or so of the right pipe fittings, you could build the whole thing pretty easily and cheaply. The website is:

http://www.freepatentsonline.com

It's free to make a login - actually free! And you can search for anything - the cross referencing is amazing. Two patents I thought might interest you are:

Des. 414.720 and
US 7,234,719 B2

This is one of my favorite places on the web to just go free-association surfing, well there, and here!!

I love the idea of sinking a loop of chain - one hole in the cement, and it seems like it would be a lot stronger due to the funky shape of the chain in the cement instead of the smooth shape of the U-Lock.

I'm going to do it this weekend - I'll post a picture if anyone wants to see.

Thanks, and seriously, I love what you're doing with that trailer, but be careful! I'm working on a trailer that has a single spherical wheel with no axle! I have to admit I got the idea after seeing I Robot... those Audi's were so sweet! I just ordered a new welder, so I should be able to complete that soon as well...

Thanks for the encouragement everyone! Someone mentioned a few posts back that it was nice to see I hadn't gotten too upset over the loss of my first motored bike. I was upset for about two minutes, then I realized that I was going to build the next one - stronger, faster, better - and sooner! I hope I have at least learned my lesson about locking stuff up! Searching through the patents of bike locks, I found some interesting ideas... once the welder comes, the sky's the limit!

actually, the fatiuge on the brackets was from my drill, that happened as i was building the bracket off of the trailer, before any weight was put on it. and i plan to do like 5 min slow rides on back roads so i did it with the least money possible, cause living in a school of children that go around flipping outdoor meters for people's houses theres bound to be somone that steals it, ans there is no good way to lock it up, cause you bring a saw and just cut what its locked to. i know this cause every bike ive had has been stolen, till i got access to my neighbor's shed but lucily it was always someone from school, and i just kicked his azz until they told my where my bike was lol and back when i was a little younger, i only had acess to the cable locks, and they just had skipy locks that came with em, 1 hit n ur in. just to give an idea of how strong i tightened em, i stalled my dads 70 dollar drill, cause mine broke, cause i only had a 20 dollar cheapo-o 1 from lowes, but i stalled my dads 70 dollar craftsman, with enough tourqe to break a wrist if you dont got mucles lol and thanks for the site pointer, ill have to look for that one, but i dunno if that'll be in my budget (shoveling and mowing lol)

Last edited by a moderator:
Back