Riding That Friction Thing in the rain !!!

As a cyclist, you have to put up with rain at times, but "embracing" it borders on masochism.I still have bad memories from cycling through Scotland, where it seemed to rain most of the time.Cold too !A good rainsuit will keep you dry, but you need coaster,drum or disk brakes.Why bicycles come without fenders in the US has allways mystified me.

Last edited by a moderator:
It's interesting the difference of opinion on rain can give you, if you are a desert rat. It rains so little here, that when it does, I run into it and embrance it head on! I like to walk in the rain, and riding my bike in the rain is pretty fun too. You know... whenever it's *really* miserable out there, raining etc, I think to myself, "Hey if this was Seattle I would be out there riding in that!" And so I do, thoughts like that keep me going. (Or pretending I'm on some jungle adventure when I'm walking in the rain during my job)

But actually, I think it just drizzles in Seattle. Like those raining for 10 days I hear about? I had a friend tell me it wasn't constantly hard rain, kinda like it was in my imagination.

But still, even if I go to another place where it does rain regularly, the smell of the earth when wet and the whole experience (of rain) is amazing to me.

for rain gear carry a spare pair of clothes wrapped in a garbage bag & fastened with rubber bands to keep it water proof.

I tried rain suits & gave up, I keep a spare pare of clothes at work for when get rained on & will carry a spare pair when I travel.

I havent rode a friction drive in rain in over 20 years & that was my chicken power. back in the 1980's

I remember some friction bicycle assist engines having large cogged rollers plastic & was replaceable as it wore down. something like that could be made of metal with teeth like a cam gear for timing belt. not sure if would slip as bad?

some guys used some serious springs to hold their engine into the tire & at stops would just lift tire & let it spin as it couldnt be released easily. & would remove their helper springs & keep them on bike after rain was over.

Randy

Dog House

Yesterday I was working on my r/c airplane and got some glue on the tablecloth ....

I think i will be reminded about that for the next 90 day's !!!!
:rolleyes:

that reminds me
the little Lady is due home from work real soon now
anybody out there know if

carpet cleaner removes black tire stains

dang dong -- I think I am leaving for a very long ride on that THING

when I was young I got a big spanking for doing a major burnout in the house. it was a dirtbike & wood floors but I ruined the shellac coating on the floor & actually burned the wood & left score marks & house smelled of burning rubber for several days.

I think I was still a little too young to be left alone at home, I was about 12 years old.

Randy

Back