SAFE TOP SPEED FOR MB -- is ???

What do you feel is the maximum SAFE speed for a motorized bicycle?

• 20 or less

Votes: 16 5.3%
  • 25 or less

Votes: 39 12.9%
  • 30 or less

Votes: 74 24.5%
  • 35 or less

Votes: 62 20.5%
  • 40 or less

Votes: 37 12.3%
  • Any speed you can reach...

Votes: 74 24.5%

• Total voters
If you can't cruse at 40 to 45 mph here in Dallas Tx you will become a hood ornament or one of those bugs stuck in a big trucks grill. I try not to travel on roads that have a speed limit over 45 mph. There is something to be said for keeping up with the flow of traffic. The bike trails aren't really an option here, No Motorized Vehicles 35 mph bare minimum in traffic.

If you can't cruse at 40 to 45 mph here in Dallas Tx you will become a hood ornament or one of those bugs stuck in a big trucks grill. I try not to travel on roads that have a speed limit over 45 mph. There is something to be said for keeping up with the flow of traffic. The bike trails aren't really an option here, No Motorized Vehicles 35 mph bare minimum in traffic.

I think under those circumstances then is where bicycles should stop and motorcycles, or maybe scooters, begin.

To motor in that kind of traffic it will be necessary to have reserve acceleration, not just pushing a MB to it's mechanical limiit to be able to keep up with the flow and certainly well beyond it's safe limits.

on the bike that now has my motor, I safely cruise 20-25, sometimes I go to 30-32 but that's as fast as I want to go on this bike. When and if I manage to get a shifter kit my motor will go on my TREK 6700. The TREK has disc brakes and rides VERY nice. On that bike I would have no problem going 40-50.

on the bike that now has my motor, I safely cruise 20-25, sometimes I go to 30-32 but that's as fast as I want to go on this bike. When and if I manage to get a shifter kit my motor will go on my TREK 6700. The TREK has disc brakes and rides VERY nice. On that bike I would have no problem going 40-50.

NunyaBidness - must say - you are the brave one of the day. I quess that you have already ridden your TREK downhill without motor 40-50 mph -
THAT IS FLYING !!!

off the subject just a little here -
A couple of weeks ago - I think that it was on Ripley's Believe It Or Not
guy on a bicycle went for world bicycle speed record
it was something to see - going down ONE HECK OF A MOUNTAIN
he got up to well over 100 mph -- think it was something like 125 mph
after he set the new record -- just at the bottom of mountain
his bicycle BLEW APART !!!
Thank God he is alive today !

Ride That Thing - Mountainman

20mph, IMO. The more people who ride these bikes much faster than that , & the way they are selling,, I think the sooner laws will be changing.

20mph, IMO. The more people who ride these bikes much faster than that , & the way they are selling,, I think the sooner laws will be changing.

Esteban - glad that you have brought that up --

thinking in regards to - #1 safety for all
#2 overall image of MB riders

if we are wizzing by others at very high speeds
wonder how long - until some or many - GET HURT BADLY ?
in time that would effect the MB laws greatly..

this is a hard one
we are powerless over others actions
but still hoping to
beckon the conscience of MB riders..

Happy Riding from - Mountainman

25 feels fine to me. Since my bike is registered as a moped I can legally go 30 but I save that for short bursts in order to deal with traffic or when I'm going downhill and the air drag holds me around that speed rather than burning up my brakes.

Bad things happen to the best of us. RIP.

Triathlete dies after bike crash in Santa Barbara

Fri Aug 29, 1:37 AM ET

SANTA BARBARA, Calif. - Barbara Warren, one of the world's elite endurance athletes in her age group and one-half of a well-known pair of triathlete twins, has died after breaking her neck in a bike crash at the Santa Barbara Triathlon.

Warren, of San Diego, died Tuesday at Santa Barbara Cottage Hospital when her family told doctors to take her off a ventilator, her twin sister Angelika Drake told the San Diego Union-Tribune.

Warren crashed her bike on a downhill road about halfway through the 34-mile cycling section of the race on Saturday, race director Joe Coito said.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20080829/ap_on_re_us/obit_warren

Yes Happy Valley -- it's sad to hear this - our prayers go out for Barbara Warren -- her family and friends -- humbles all riders.. I just met a gentleman two days ago - broken neck from 2-wheel crash - he had the wire halo thing around his head - shared with him - thank God you are alive and walking... Told him about my crash years ago on a dirt bike - almost broke my neck - took large piece of shin out of my head.. Point being - no matter how much we think that we are in control - once out of control - there is no control - ANYTHING CAN HAPPEN up to and including death... Happy Safe Riding from - Mountainman

Like usual, I agree with SirJakesus. 25mph is comfortable, but I do try to touch 30mph every once in awhile... just to clean things out. :cool:

Back