Scottsdale AZ Police Want To Jail MotoredBiker!!

Don't get me wrong, I do feel bad for Steve and I think it was cheese**** of that cop to arrest him, but he did break the law.

Steve was riding a motorized vehicle and it sounds like the laws there say if it IS motorized, there is a top speed limit. Bicyclers (even the lycra wearing ones) have to abide by ALL traffic laws as well. If they are speeding you can be ticketed. If you run a stop sign, you can be ticketed etc... Whether or not they will be ticketed is a whole different story.

don't get me wrong...i didn't get you wrong, all good. i'm in with your way of thinking...lay low, obey everything when you're on the road...i don't wanna be a test-case :rolleyes:

this is gonna be interesting to watch, no matter what the outcome.

so long as that cop wants torques locked up, i think there's a fight to be fought.

but he did break the law.

speeding? maybe. but that hasnt been proven, friend.
the biggest issue is the fact that steve was riding a motorized bicycle...NOT a moped, as the arresting officer and prosecutor claim. the differences are HUGE when it comes to proper charges/punishment.

The Scottsdale Republic said:
Livingston admitted his license had been suspended for drunken-driving...
"I'm going to settle this argument, and a judge is too, and we're going to put you in jail for it," Royston said, according to the transcript.

Torques said:
...it seems you have difficulty dealing with conflict...

Hmmm... tough to know who to root for on this one...

But... because of my commitment to posting useful information as often as I can, here is a link to a very well written article on how to defend yourself in court when facing evidence from a police radar gun:

http://legalmessenger.tripod.com/form_of_defense.htm

Torques said:
Not to be picky but it is 33.5 cc's.

Attachments

• devil_made_me_do_it.JPG
    devil_made_me_do_it.JPG
    7.4 KB · Views: 340
this is why I wish we were 100,000 riders strong , we could just desend on Scotsdale like the plage and they would have no choice but to do whats right!

smapadatha, you made me search for context... :p

i'll just stick at the cop's malicious threat...if i could see a public retraction of that, i'd consider it a step forward.

Sounds like the guy is in trouble for speeding. Not for riding a motor assisted bicycle. I guess the speed limit is 20mph and he was doing 28. If I were a cop, I would not write a ticket for that. But.. Cops are people too. Sounds like this cop has it in for this guy. This is a bummer for sure.

After reading the legislative history and statute for motorized bicycles, it is my sincerely held belief that there is no law for the ticket that the cop wrote. There is no law, rule, statute or regulation that converts my private conveyance bicycle, under the Arizona legislation, to a motor vehicle if I exceed 20 mph. This is independant of the fact I was traveling at 15.4 mph at the time of the alleged radar speed of 28 mph. Yes, there is a vendetta [revenue enhancement]. As the officer admitted on the witness stand, he did not know the law. But he wrote the ticket anyway...... more money for the city of Scottsdale's budget to buy more cameras for placement on nearby highways to catch speeders. You don't get any money from catching a bank robber, burglar, or rapist but the City of Scottsdale does make money from regulation violators.

Last edited by a moderator:
Ain't that something! Tell that cop that doghnuts are free down the street next time.
What a waste of taxpayers money. There are regular unmotorized highspeed bikes that go much faster than 20 MPH. Does that make them illegal? I might understand if the gent was drunk and wrecklessly driving.
Go bust a serial killer and use our money properly. I have had a trycycle over 20 MPH down a hill before. GRR!
Doc

ROFL, affirmative. :eek:

Don't get me wrong, I do feel bad for Steve and I think it was cheese**** of that cop to arrest him, but he did break the law.

Steve was riding a motorized vehicle and it sounds like the laws there say if it IS motorized, there is a top speed limit. Bicyclers (even the lycra wearing ones) have to abide by ALL traffic laws as well. If they are speeding you can be ticketed. If you run a stop sign, you can be ticketed etc... Whether or not they will be ticketed is a whole different story.

I Ride, it's ok, you have no idea what you're saying. What the cop said on the witness stand did NOT happen as far as speed was concerned. I even took pictures of my cyclometer showing the maximum speed of trip was 19.5 with an average speed of 14.8 with a trip time of 52:44. Don't make such quick judgements about something you know nothing about, plain and simple.

http://i93.photobucket.com/albums/l69/Torques/CIMG4277.jpg

Back