Seeking feed back

Rusty_S85

Local time
3:26 AM
This is not really a post about trying to solve a problem but to find out what people think of the two handle bars that I am currently looking at.

First one is the Sunlite handlebar which is a Retro Cruiser in Chrome. It is 28" spread, 5" rise and 1" diameter.

Second one is from Jakes, there is no specs on it for me to list but below is a link.
http://shop.jakebike.com/board-tracker-celebrity-handlebars-8856.htm

I am leaning towards chrome to have a little silver on the bike but might switch to the black option of the Sunlite handle bar to complement the included black headset that came with my frame.

I cant decide between the two handle bars. I am liking the Jakes as it can be flipped up right or down where as the Sunlite can only mount upwards and look right. I also haven't been able to find much on how straight the ends of the handlebars are. I don't want straight back grips as it just doesn't seem comfortable for riding long distance.

So I am curious what everyone thinks between the two handle bars above?

A little about the build for those that don't know, I got most of the stuff in, sent the Sunlite fork I ordered originally back and I have a 1 1/8" threadless. Aside from that the bike is going to be painted in 1950 Dodge Red which is the same color as Coke-Cola Red which is a almost exact match for 1940`s Indian Red. I also have Gold with black trim decals for the fuel tank that says "Indian". Aside from that I am trying to think vintage/retro looking but at the same time my last bicycle was a straight handle mountain bike so I am not sure what dimensions would be comfortable and what will be useable vs what wont be useable. So if anyone has any thing to say I would be greatful to hear it.

In the mean time I am going through chrome and black dogbone stems.

I've gotten rid of all cruiser bars - don't want them sticking up in air as peddlers have them when I'm going a LOT faster than they are - pulled down for handling, I don't like pulling my stomach back to make a tight turn

Thanks for the reply. I do not know if I would prefer an upright position or a lower downward position. I am liking the Jake one as I can try it both ways to see what works for me. Down side is I have a black headset so I can get a black threadless stem to match but not too sure how well the over all presentation would be of the bike with chrome/silver wheels.

I guess I could always purchase Eastwoods Extreme Chrome powder and have a local shop powder coat the black handle bar a chrome color if need be. But I cant make a decision on a stem till I decide on which handle bar would be comfortable for road use. I also need to find out the specs on Jakes as I don't know if its a 1" tube or larger. The stem I was looking at that looks retro requires use of an adapter if using 1" bars.

But still thanks for your reply its a big reason why I am asking feed back on this. Rather make a informed decision based off experiences of other people.

Or I could say screw it and buy black board track racer style wheels. Down side is the rear hub I have to buy from Grubee and its silver.

Big question I am rolling around in my head if I go with the board track racer style handle bar which I honestly am leaning more towards. I am thinking maybe I should go black rims but I just don't know how I would have the Grubee HD hub color matched to the same black on the rim set.

Last edited:
I'm over 70, so color doesn't even get a nod once comfort is addressed. I don't care of it is green with pink polka dots if I can ride it for an hour without back or shoulder pain.

That makes sense.

I am just going to go for it. I'm currently looking at seat posts right now. I think I'm going to try a laid back mount and a straight mount to see what will fit me best when the time comes. I personally think if I move the seat a little further back the board racer style bars would not be as stressful on my back as I would be leaning forward more than hunching over.

Back