Chain Tensioner Shamefull Quality Fade on Chain Tensioner

just dont say anti AMERICAN and evey thing will be fine:eek::eek::LOL:
I'll say anti-American...anti-Australian...anti-German...anti-British.......infact any anti i like provided the cap fits.
What's your problem....just because i called yours an Idiot post cos u said Americans were Nazis but in a different generation.
Grow-up & get real....learn to work with ppl instead of being a deliberate troublemaker.

WOW Really! so is what your saying is I have no clue?I don't ride my bike 30+ miles a day ? I haven't done it now for over 5 years?and some guy in Australia.. who buys a hoot box??? is the biggest importer of HT kits??? hummm
well I guess you know best! I'm truly offended by your accusations I guess I don't see why your so offended by what you get, I like new cars but they sure don't make'em like they used to!

I wasn't really accusing you biketec - I was grousing off at my problems with my supplier here and also at the stuff I have to accept in the kits I'm getting. These aren't your kits I admit. I am a bit annoyed at the length of time you ran out of kits for because that forced me to buy from the local guy. You sold me my first kit which was the best kit I ever got even though you forced me to buy the 56T sprocket which is of no practical use to me. You know how many people on this forum don't want a 56T sprocket yet there is no option to get the 48T which is also a standard HT sprocket. You also don't stock the ashtabula cranks anymore and offer only that 3 piece thing I was told. All this is disappointing to me as a customer and I also get disappointed that you don't answer emails in a timely manner. I want suppliers to start responding to people's wish list but instead the choices are diminishing.
I broke that cable\engager linkage cos the tightening screw was twice the length it used to be and I didn't notice til I pulled the lever and snapped it first go. It wasn't your kit but try getting a replacement from a supplier and your only hope is if they email Don Grube and he sends a few spares. There are no spares here - I am probably just expected to buy a completely new gearbox assembly to replace that 50 cent cable screw. That is why I get annoyed Biketec. You sell boxes on the internet and I sell finished products that people can see any defect on. I just want a good supplier who responds to my needs. Tell me what is wrong with that?
When I phone you Biketec I have to set my alarm and get up in the middle of the night because of the time difference. That's not your fault that that the earth rotates etc but I'm usually calling you cos I got no response to my email. I'm sorry if you took my complaint as an insult because I like talking to you but I also think it's quite healthy to speak out when affected. I wish you'd get some of those 1 piece cranks back in stock because I can't use the 3 piece ones. I also wish you hadn't run out of stock for so long because that forced me to go to to a place I didn't want to go. No doubt I'll be branded Persona Non Grata and will be banned from buying from you and will have to change my name but my reality is different to a suppliers and that's just how it is. I am sorry if I offended you because you are a very nice man to deal with and it was not my intention to insult you. I also admit I don't know how difficult it is between the suppliers and the sources from China. Maybe there are files as thick as a phone book of correspondence from suppliers to China Gas appealing for better quality control and more options for choice of components in kits and maybe they just keep saying yes sir no sir three bags full sir and keep on sending you more and more rubbishy parts.
All I know is what I find inside the box and as I've said your box was the best I've had so far.

i havent had problems with the thickness of brackets (yet).
my troubles with these are, that i'm constantly stripping the idler wheel bolt (the one that goes through the wheel itself).

seems like softer metal being used.

for the last four years they never stripped. now, within the last 6 months, its happening more and more.

i havent had problems with the thickness of brackets (yet).
my troubles with these are, that i'm constantly stripping the idler wheel bolt (the one that goes through the wheel itself).

seems like softer metal being used.

for the last four years they never stripped. now, within the last 6 months, its happening more and more.

I've found a way to make the idler wheel work for a long time and I think it will work for anyone who tries it. You are right the steel bolt is soft steel and strips very easily. Because of its peculiar shape you can't replace it from the local bolt supplier so you have to use the stock one and make it last.
I recommend firstly replacing the two clamp bolts with hard steel non-Chinese bolts and making sure you can tighten these to a degree you can totally trust. Put some rubber bike tyre tube between the chainstay and the brackets for added grip and protection of the paintwork. Grease the idler wheel well etc and mount the tensioner in a position where it will hold the chain just right with the idler wheel at the lowest position on the slider. Keep the idler wheel at the lowest setting always and adjust the chain tension by moving the bracket along the chainstay. Because the wheel is at its lowest setting it can't slip down any more and doesn't have to be tightened to refusal which strips the threads. Use two nuts and when youv'e tightened the first one as far as you dare then tighten the second nut up against it and turn the front nut back and the back nut forwards to lock them really well. Ocasionally you will need to take links out of your chain but that's no big deal.
Move the whole assembly along the chainstay by loosening the clamp nuts a bit and walloping the clamp with a nice piece of hardwood and a lump hammer.
Usually the rubber and clamp will move together if you lightly grease the unit when you assemble the rubber & clamp. This method has worked well for me for many thousands of kilometers and I'm surprised at how effective it is. The more care you take aligning the idler wheel the better it works. When I have the chain at its perfect tightness I spin the wheel and watch how the sprocket teeth touch the bottom chain. If I need small sideways adjustment I smack it with my trusy hardwood and hammer. I check to see if the chain is hitting the steel upright on the tensioner and adjust that with my hammer and wood too. I carry the wood on my bike and make on road adjustments with it using whatever comes to hand - usually a large rock. Lastly it is important that the idler turns freely and this may take a bit of adjustment but the trusty hammer and wood is a great tool if used with care. Good steel clamp bolts will allow you to tighten the clamp so it crushes the chainstay tube so a bit of care is needed but a small amount of crushing doesn't matter.
I guarantee this method works well and the tensioner will do its job and can't slip down. I currently have a patent pending in the Dublin Patents Office on the wood and rock and hope to be offering them for sale soon on the web.
They will be available for less than $100 from:
www.irish_spanner.com.ie

Last edited by a moderator:
Hey John its no biggie you don't need to go elsewhere we have what you need in stock I have the one piece as well I have the bolts that broke, feel free to email or call I will answer!! :D I just have been swamped with stuff and stress wit 100+K sitting in china for months but its all here now so we should be good.BTW check with fetter hes going to place a group order to save on shipping as far as some replacements go I can try to help you out since its going to go in one box. its really just the shipping that makes replacement hard for me if I give you a 10 cent part and pay $20 to ship I'm loosing but yea anyways lets get together and get you guys over there going.

Hey John its no biggie you don't need to go elsewhere we have what you need in stock I have the one piece as well I have the bolts that broke, feel free to email or call I will answer!! :D I just have been swamped with stuff and stress wit 100+K sitting in china for months but its all here now so we should be good.BTW check with fetter hes going to place a group order to save on shipping as far as some replacements go I can try to help you out since its going to go in one box. its really just the shipping that makes replacement hard for me if I give you a 10 cent part and pay $20 to ship I'm loosing but yea anyways lets get together and get you guys over there going.

OK Biketec. Fetor told me about the cranks and I slept like a baby last night after seeing all the goodies back on line. I'll email you with my order cos I can't use the online shop cos it's un-Australian and refuses to recognise the validity of Aussies or Irishmen's credit details!
It's so good to see the site up again in time for Christmas.
Spotya
Irish John

Back