Should valves be adjusted as normal maintenance?

Local time
3:52 PM
The Honda GX-50 on my bike has about 120 hours on it. I actually bothered to read through the manual for the engine. It is recommended to check and adjust valve clearance every 100 hours. Does anyone really follow this? My bike seems to run fine. Any point in actually pulling stuff apart every 100 hours if the engine's running well?

Also, I can't find the correct valve clearance for the GX 50 anywhere, another reason why I'm reluctant to pop things open and potentially mess things up. I'm going to guess it's the same as the GX 25 and 35 but I don't want to assume things.

The Honda GX-50 on my bike has about 120 hours on it. I actually bothered to read through the manual for the engine. It is recommended to check and adjust valve clearance every 100 hours. Does anyone really follow this? My bike seems to run fine. Any point in actually pulling stuff apart every 100 hours if the engine's running well?

Also, I can't find the correct valve clearance for the GX 50 anywhere, another reason why I'm reluctant to pop things open and potentially mess things up. I'm going to guess it's the same as the GX 25 and 35 but I don't want to assume things.
My honda gx35 I do about every 50hrs, I do the same for my hausheng 142f engine. Honda gx35 valve specs are .003" intake, .004" on the exhaust.

On my Robin Subaru 35, I change the oil every 25 hours and check the valve clearance. I clean my air filter every 10 hours and change the fuel filter every year. I only use a 100% ethanol-free gas. My engine is 13 years old and has nearly 5000 hours of use on it.

The specs for your engine should be in the owner's manual.

What I got on page 12 of the owner's manual.

Valve clearance
(cold)
IN: 0.08±0.02 mm
EX: 0.11±0.02 mm

You'll need feeler gauges and a top-dead-center tool. Be sure to use the compression TDC.

Do it sooner than the manual maintenance schedule calls for
It might be just a check, but you'll reassure yourself the Valve Lash is correct and your valves are happy

It's not a good idea to wait until your valves tell you their not happy

Do it sooner than the manual maintenance schedule calls for
It might be just a check, but you'll reassure yourself the Valve Lash is correct and your valves are happy

It's not a good idea to wait until your valves tell you their not happy
My manual says change the oil every 50 hours but I change mine every 25 hours and check the lashes. That's probably has a lot to do with why my iron-sleeved cylinder is still going strong after 13 years and nearly 5000 hours of use.

On my Robin Subaru 35, I change the oil every 25 hours and check the valve clearance. I clean my air filter every 10 hours and change the fuel filter every year. I only use a 100% ethanol-free gas. My engine is 13 years old and has nearly 5000 hours of use on it.

The specs for your engine should be in the owner's manual.

What I got on page 12 of the owner's manual.

Valve clearance
(cold)
IN: 0.08±0.02 mm
EX: 0.11±0.02 mm

You'll need feeler gauges and a top-dead-center tool. Be sure to use the compression TDC.
Holy crap Batman!
5000 hours?
Averaging 15mph, that's about 480 miles/month over the course of the past 13 years.
Damn dude, that's hardcore.👍

My manual says change the oil every 50 hours but I change mine every 25 hours and check the lashes. That's probably has a lot to do with why my iron-sleeved cylinder is still going strong after 13 years and nearly 5000 hours of use.
That is incredibly impressive. Yours is just a standard HuaSheng?

Back