Single speed conversion

If you aren't a large person and you're in a flat area then a single speed would work for you. The simplest thing to do is put the bike in a gear ratio that you're comfortable with and use that. 1(1-4) should give you plenty of assist to the engine when needed.

I personally think keeping it a multispeed bike is better. You'll want a lower gear to get you going and a higher gear you can use to assist the engine going up hills.

I personally think keeping it a multispeed bike is better. You'll want a lower gear to get you going and a higher gear you can use to assist the engine going up hills.
For take off gears 1(1) will work best for stops going uphill. For all other stops use 2(2).

As for an assist going up hill depends on total weight, hill gradient and entry speed. 2(2-5) would probably work fine for small hills and/or low total weight and/or high entry speeds. If the gradient is steep and/or total weight is heavy and/or entry speed is low 1(1-4) would give you the best assist. The OP should get a tachometer/hour counter then he'll know which ratio in the sequential order is giving the best assist.

If you aren't a large person and you're in a flat area then a single speed would work for you. The simplest thing to do is put the bike in a gear ratio that you're comfortable with and use that. 1(1-4) should give you plenty of assist to the engine when needed.
Personally if i did the shift kit it would be with a gx50 since I heard it has as much hp as the huasheng only smaller and it could achieve a higher top speed with more hill climbing power and yes western pa is quite hilly and at times the subaru bike would only go jogging speed and I would have to pedal to help it in 5th or 7th gear. they run about $190-$210 for a clone gx50 but the real gx50 is over $300.

Thats another reason to keep it multispeed. It gives you the option of using a shift kit/jackshaft.

Thats another reason to keep it multispeed. It gives you the option of using a shift kit/jackshaft.
I'm all for keeping the multi speed. However, we don't know what this mountian bike is??? Being a 3x7 means it has a freewheel instead of a cassette. More than likely this is a department store bike with low grade components.

Meaning the rear derailleur would have to be upgraded for the drive system to be able to hold it in gear without slipping using a shift kit. For a first build the OP is better off learning on a single ratio left side drive system.

Personally if i did the shift kit it would be with a gx50 since I heard it has as much hp as the huasheng only smaller and it could achieve a higher top speed with more hill climbing power and yes western pa is quite hilly and at times the subaru bike would only go jogging speed and I would have to pedal to help it in 5th or 7th gear. they run about $190-$210 for a clone gx50 but the real gx50 is over $300.
That's a very good engine. Yes there's Canton ave in Pittsburgh lol. The clone engines only produce around 1.6 hp about the same as the RS 35.

It saddens me to hear the 4G transmissions are no longer being made. There's the Staton gearbox in which no belt drive is stronger than it is.

When it comes to the bicycle chain I recommend the Shimano HG71, Sram 890 and the KMC X99.

For a multi cog you'll need a good strong rear derailleur. A really good one will cost around $50+.

I suggest using a 1x4 setup instead of a 1x7. The 4 speed freewheel cogs are 34,28,22,16. This can greatly reduce the amount of lateral stress on the components due to cross chaining. The other option would be to use either a 3 or 5 speed internal geared hub.

Thread '4 Speed Freewheel' https://motoredbikes.com/threads/4-speed-freewheel.58615/

The cheapest way to convert to a single speed is to select your gear speed.....

and leave it there.

If you want, you can lock the gear selector with tape or straps.

That way, in case you need to switch gears, it can easily be done.

I had a 21 speed. I took everything off but derailed put it on the back cassette gear I want manually. Works great for me. Never pedal pull start and centrifugal clutch. Only use pedals if motor breaks.

I had a 21 speed. I took everything off but derailed put it on the back cassette gear I want manually. Works great for me. Never pedal pull start and centrifugal clutch. Only use pedals if motor breaks.
Only have pedals for law reason.

Back