Small Clutch Gear Is Shredded | Nightmare Refuses To Be Tamed

yuckfoo

Local time
7:43 PM
I was out to see if the 72 Jet would perform better than the 70. It seemed to do so. Suddenly a [SHRIEK] ... Nightmare strikes again. I don't think this would have anything to do with it but I noticed afterward that I accidentally put in the original spark plug. It says "Runwell" on it. lol. Didn't run so well but I also noticed that there was no color on the spark plug except a little bit of black around the edges. The center bit looked brand new after 5 or 6 miles of riding.

1635625292771.jpeg

Now that I'm thinking about it, this may have been the cause of my pedals getting stuck occasionally when trying to start it and the wir-wir-wir sound. Maybe I had one or two bad gears on my clutch and every time they got stuck trying to start and through use more of them went bad until it was too much. Can I buy a quality clutch for this? Or are there no options?

That suck's! The clutch/basket gear looks to be fine just need the out put gear, may wanna check the crank bearing for play though it could have just been s**tty sized bevel gear as the meshing always suck's to begin with.

That suck's! The clutch/basket gear looks to be fine just need the out put gear, may wanna check the crank bearing for play though it could have just been sh**ty sized bevel gear as the meshing always suck's to begin with.
Hmm. Would you mind explaining that a bit more in-depth. 😁 I'm still quite the noob when it comes to these. How would I check the crank bearing for play and what do you mean by "meshing?" Thanks.

Hmm. Would you mind explaining that a bit more in-depth. 😁 I'm still quite the noob when it comes to these. How would I check the crank bearing for play and what do you mean by "meshing?" Thanks.
Ok so if the gear (bevel, stripped one) can be moved side to side or up and down basically any wiggle rather than solidly in place then it should be replaced (the bearing), the meshing is how close together the two gears fit into each other and they are always a little to far apart to begin with so if the bearing goes or the bevel gears wears too much this is what happens it get's ground to nothing.

Ok so if the gear (bevel, stripped one) can be moved side to side or up and down basically any wiggle rather than solidly in place then it should be replaced (the bearing), the meshing is how close together the two gears fit into each other and they are always a little to far apart to begin with so if the bearing goes or the bevel gears wears too much this is what happens it get's ground to nothing.
Thanks for clarifying. Ok I tried to move that gear and it's pretty solid. Someone on another site said "it happens." When I asked why he said "torque, cheap metal." I kind of think this problem has been slowly growing for sometime and may, in fact, be the reason for the choppiness and wir-wir-wir I've been getting all along.

So can I buy a better clutch and if so, how do I know if I'm getting something better, or do you have a link? I know people make those fancy clutches with the 300lb springs, but, not sure if I want to spring the cash for one of those. Some people think they are just overkill.

Is that flathead screw that holds on bevel gear tight? I had 1 of mine come loose once & it would occasionally make a grinding noise, luckily I caught in time, do you have the tool 2 remove the bevel gear? There should of been a removal tool in your engine kit. It should look like this.
20211030_173638.jpg

Is that flathead screw that holds on bevel gear tight? I had 1 of mine come loose once & it would occasionally make a grinding noise, luckily I caught in time, do you have the tool 2 remove the bevel gear? There should of been a removal tool in your engine kit. It should look like this.View attachment 160236
Screw is tight. No I didn't get a removal tool with my kit.

Ok, I'm squeezing my clutch lever and it seems like the plate is only moving out on the top half, the bottom half doesn't really push out.

Hold your clutch lever in & see if that plate wiggles back & forth, I believe it should a little. The other thing is you might not have enough ride time to seat the clutch pads.

Back