Snapped head bolt PLEASE HELP!!

impressive -- these guys have it spelled out well for you

vice grips -- used very often -- if we just have a little something to grab on to

ezy outs -- when we have right size available -- great tool -- not very expensive

new quality head bolts -- I would torque more times than mentioned above
4 8 10 12 ?? doesn't matter that much

a new head gasket is always a good idea
if one can not be found in time
someone on site mentioned some spray (copper spray) from auto store
this was sprayed on to old gasket I believe -- they said worked great still holding
note -- new gasket would be best..

hope you are up soon so as to Ride That Thing -------------------MM

Alrighty guys, its all fixed and working better than b4 now because, the head wasnt actually perfectly flat! We will get back to that in a sec but first off, i made a new thread to put in there by getting 8mm rod and cutting 6mm threads on either end, if u use 6mm thread it is loose in the barrel so i used 8mm for a snug fit. Then my dad checked the gasket and it was still fine so we put the head back on and locktited it all to find a gap still. I started her up and if u put your hand in front of the gap there was a lot of air coming out, my dad said "it looks like ur head is warped" so we took the head off again, got a sheet of glass as its pretty much the most flat thing u can get and put the head on there. Usually you put a bit of jiff on the glass, put the head on the glass and get the jiff on it then press the head on the glass again to get an imprint of the head to see what imperfections it has. We didnt have any jiff so we got the finest wet and dry sand paper we had, put it down on the glass, put a bit of CRC on the sand paper and started to slightly sand the head moving the head in a circular motion. We turned the head over to find two sides of the head shiny and the other two not which means the head wasnt even flat which is why it was leaking. We sanded it a bit more until it was all shiny and then put it all back on. The engine now runs quieter and better than ever and no leaks! We ran the engine for about 15mins until it was real hot then tightened the nuts again. Its working real great now and i fixed a few other things around my bike.

Just to let u guys no, i didnt do any of this. my dad did as he's been riding motorbikes for over 35 years and has pulled a few engines apart in his years, he fixed it all and gave me a bit of knowledge along the way. Im really happy now, its working great. Im a happy boy and now my bike is working better than ever and ready for many days of riding.

Thanks for everyone's help, its also handy to know im not the only one that has done this after a quick google search on snapping head bolt and seeing mine was only very minor compared to some guys that snap a bolt half way through there block on a expensive car engine.

Cya guys, ill upload a few pics of the head n stuff i took with my phone, not the greatest pics but its all i had at the time to take pics.

From Brendon.v

UPDATE: Added pics!, as you can see by the second last pic the thread on the far right is a lot shorter as it snapped. Not anymore!

Attachments

• 10-05-08_1036.jpg
    10-05-08_1036.jpg
    20.9 KB · Views: 155
  • 10-05-08_1037.jpg
    10-05-08_1037.jpg
    16.6 KB · Views: 165
  • 10-05-08_1038.jpg
    10-05-08_1038.jpg
    14.3 KB · Views: 144
  • 10-05-08_1039.jpg
    10-05-08_1039.jpg
    13 KB · Views: 155
Last edited:
Ive snapped a head bolt before.

Not hard to fix, get some high quality m6 threaded steel (also look at replacing every bolt on your engine with this as the chinese stuff is ....). Get hacksaw/grinder and cut to length.

getting old one out for me was easy, pliers got it out.

Others have given solutions for getting it out, replacing it is easy.

I recomend keeping a good stash of m6 threaded steel and nut/washers etc on hand for these type of situations. I dont trust any of the original fixings that come with these engines.

EDIT: sorry, resurrected this thread by accident

Back