So I have this Dax engine

HumanPerson

Local time
10:39 PM
So i have this dax engine and want to know if i put the ZEDA jug and jakes? head with the 24mm carb and reed valve set up on this engine will i get more low end torque like going up hills or starting off with minimal peddling?

So i have this dax engine and want to know if i put the ZEDA jug and jakes? head with the 24mm carb and reed valve set up on this engine will i get more low end torque like going up hills or starting off with minimal peddling?
24 mm carb is way too big for a 69cc engine. You will have lousy bottom end power.

If you want to increase torque, lowering your gearing is the most effective alternative. If you don't want to forego top speed, there are a few mods that increase torque with out changing gearing. Try increasing the length of your intake. I have personally tried this and it made a huge difference. Jaguar has a great page for how to do this: http://www.dragonfly75.com/motorbike/EIntake.html Secondly, you can increase torque by increasing the length of the exhaust pipe. Look on eBay for long motorized bike exhaust pipes.

Last edited:
If you want to increase torque, lowering your gearing is the most effective alternative. If you don't want to forego top speed, there are a few mods that increase torque with out changing gearing. Try increasing the length of your intake. I have personally tried this and it made a huge difference. Jaguar has a great page for how to do this: http://www.dragonfly75.com/motorbike/EIntake.html Secondly, you can increase torque by increasing the length of the exhaust pipe. Look on eBay for long motorized bike exhaust pipes.
My second build i used the extended intake. I extended this build with a little over 1.5 inches of radiator hose which seems to have done a pretty good job so far.

That's my next step. I'm not out for anything above 30'ish 27 mph seems to be a really sweet spot right now and i get up hills with no peddling while passing some $1200 scooters
and they seem pretty upset when i pass them uphill without peddling :D

I like that low rpm torque though. I'll check into a header configuration to suit my needs. I really thought that ZEDA set up would work but MBR said maybe not with that carb set up.

Well i guess i'll go to the welder with these mufflers and their header pipes and see what i can do with what i have.

Longer header with one of the speed demon expansionchamber, stinger thing may give me what i need, what do you think?

Thanks for these answers guys, i'm not new to hands on things, just new to engineized bicycles :p

Would just the reed valve systems help with my low rpm torque then? maybe along with the longer header pipe. i seen i think JNMotors has a smaller carb/reed valve set up.
these things are pretty fun to tinker with and it's great to have people to talk with while we do these things to these little engines

thanks you two

Would just the reed valve systems help with my low rpm torque then? maybe along with the longer header pipe. i seen i think JNMotors has a smaller carb/reed valve set up.
these things are pretty fun to tinker with and it's great to have people to talk with while we do these things to these little engines

thanks you two

Jaguar informed me that the intake tube length doesn't make a difference if the engine has a reed valve. I think the extended exhaust header would still work though. I am hoping to get one of those reed and diaphragm carb sets from JNM. Hopefully the reed will help with low/mid range power and the intake noise. Hopefully the diaphragm carb will help me set up the carb more easily and be able to experiment with it while out on the road, not at my house.

Jaguar informed me that the intake tube length doesn't make a difference if the engine has a reed valve. I think the extended exhaust header would still work though. I am hoping to get one of those reed and diaphragm carb sets from JNM. Hopefully the reed will help with low/mid range power and the intake noise. Hopefully the diaphragm carb will help me set up the carb more easily and be able to experiment with it while out on the road, not at my house.

Thanks
i'm saving up to get the voo-doo modified exhaust system from JNM let me know how that reed valve carb system works for you on low rpm torque areas and i'll do the same when i am able to get the voo-doo exhaust from JNM

Jaguar informed me that the intake tube length doesn't make a difference if the engine has a reed valve.

Well, that hasn't been my experience on Yamaha Blaster engines, which are reed valved.
I found I could tune the powerband with the intake length and shape.
The stock Blaster intake was perfect for 7000-8000rpm, and we could alter it from there.
An aftermarket intake my son bought was a real turkey, too long and sharp, had to be modified to work.

Resonance will still work for you or against you, even with reeds.

Well, that hasn't been my experience on Yamaha Blaster engines, which are reed valved.
I found I could tune the powerband with the intake length and shape.
The stock Blaster intake was perfect for 7000-8000rpm, and we could alter it from there.
An aftermarket intake my son bought was a real turkey, too long and sharp, had to be modified to work.

Resonance will still work for you or against you, even with reeds.
I'm just repeating (probably incorrectly, but AFAIR) what I got in response to my question from an earlier thread on intake length, extended intakes.. I should have included the link instead of the comments.. I'll see if I can find it.

Got it (I think)!
Reed valve with extended intake:

http://motoredbikes.com/threads/reed-valve-with-extended-intake.39470/page-3#post-376128

Last edited:
Back