SoCal Motor Bicycle Racing Sat Oct 22nd 2011 Grange Racetrack

There are very few rules at the next SoCal Motor Bicycle Race
at Grange Track.

I was asked on the eBike forum if there were any limits on brakes
and the answer is no. You can use any kind of brake that you want.

Then I was thinking about the bicycles that only have a rear coaster
brake. Mainly 2 stroke Chinese kit bikes and I don't know how many
there were at the first Willow Springs race but I am sure there were
a few running around the track in the back of the pack.

So what does everyone have to say about requiring all race bikes to
have to have some kind of front brake and a rear brakes as well?

Should the type of front brake be specified? Some of the cruiser brakes
are almost worthless but can be improved with better pads.

my motor's balanced (in my frame) has so much compression i can't keep the head gasket from blowing, and it sure sounds like it's turning 10,000rpms.

considering stock motors turn around 9k, what's another thousand?

don't worry about the bike, mag, worry about the rider...:)

about the brakes...

who uses brakes? i just slide around on my arm to slow down.

hahaha, I can't wait to see more flesh on the pavement.

The only thing that worries me is me, my peddles, my tires, the bug in my ear, and my big toe.......oh yeah, sometimes I can't sit on my seat, got a bad case of a 1970's video game that has a ship flying around shooting rocks in space made by Atari(???)

There are very few rules at the next SoCal Motor Bicycle Race
at Grange Track.

Should the type of front brake be specified? Some of the cruiser brakes
are almost worthless but can be improved with better pads.

I got front calipers rear linear pull with good pads and I can skid.
The front brake is where 90% of the stopping force is! if I could have only one that's the one I would have, you're not going to make the corners with out them you'll be at a major disadvantage with out them.
As for safety have them sign a waver they wont be going fast for long.
Really get some front brakes there more important then a helmet!!!!
if you got a springer clamp two pieces of square stock to the tubes and mount the calipers to that.

hahaha, I can't wait to see more flesh on the pavement.

The only thing that worries me is me, my peddles, my tires, the bug in my ear, and my big toe.......oh yeah, sometimes I can't sit on my seat, got a bad case of a 1970's video game that has a ship flying around shooting rocks in space made by Atari(???)

hay I loan some one a pair of peddles at Willow Spring and never got them back but that's why I save old parts some one going to need something if you're reading this dude just pay it forward

Brakes----yess!!

Definalty a saftey requirment in racing with left & right turns!! functioning brakes on the front & rear....the rear is improtant to have if you need to "lay it down" which I have done in several racing situations to keep from Killing a downed rider.

I am making arangments to attend this event....Yall' know me better as Thud.
I will be sporting #140 look me up & say hello.
I'll be the guy wheeling down the front straight like I did in Touscon, & no, I have no intention of Blowing up again!!! (but its allways a possibility!)
T

touchy brake issue

Whaawho Todd, I'm sending you a whole box of #35 sprocs:D

Packing a big box of big bandaids for Bairdco, and some old fashioned iodine. Not only will I get to see 2 legs sticking up in the air in the vids, but gonna get some earrie sound effects, ahhhhhhahhhhh . . ooooowhooowhooo. . . when the idodine hits the bone. Don't know if he'll be assimulated, but he'll sure be sanitary. LOL

Brakes, yeah, gotta have front to stop fast. If you've a crasher just in front of 'ya, he might appreciate not being run over. Then again, what are the negatives if beach cruisers are just out on the track a crusin'? They know their bikes' limits and can ride accordingly. Maybe OK for practice runs, a newbie checking out our events or some such.

Its' a fine line to keep the sport from going all factory/corporate/legal begal on us. But what's the liability of an accident involving a (front) brakeless racer? The beach cruisers are heavy, and some of the old gear heads are too. If I were inspecting the track surface upclose & and personal, and someone had a wheel 24" behind me. I'd rather not have the back of my white helmet tire treaded.

In the future I'll fight for fewer classes, fewest rules, but give a front brakes YES for during the race. The flagger can make it a part of his/her tech/check.

Last edited:
Man I agree too many rules suck. Either front & rear brakes or none at all. Talk about exciting!

Any pics avail from the ast race @ willow? Link?

Thanks,Rick

Man I agree too many rules suck. Either front & rear brakes or none at all. Talk about exciting!

Any pics avail from the last race @ willow? Link?

Thanks,Rick
Here is the pro photography of my first Willow Springs Race on June 18th;
http://www.caliphotography.com/photos/index.php?do=photocart&viewGallery=15044

There were larger size watermarked photos but they were removed recently.

This next Oct 22nd race the photos will be included in the track entry fee
and will be permanently hosted online.

It's 52 days to go to Grange race day.

Last edited:
Back