Something is leaving a bad taste in my mouth.

GreasyChris

Local time
1:11 PM
When I built my bike I cheaped out and I bought the non SBP jackshaft kit. I haven't had any problems with the kit i bought but i won't lie the freewheel that comes with the kit isnt the best in the world. Again i haven't had any issues with mine and its seems alright other than it doesn't run that true. Anyways long story short. I bought a cyclone freewheel from SBP. Not their best freewheel but not their cheapest.

20190415_124102.jpg

This is the freewheel I recieved.

This looks alot more like what I recieved.
I emailed SBP with pictures of what I recieved and was told that I have the cyclone because this has 10 holes. Now do i take it apart to see if it has 4 pawls or 3?
It is a definate upgrade from what I have but its leaving a terrible taste in my mouth.

When I built my bike I cheaped out and I bought the non SBP jackshaft kit. I haven't had any problems with the kit i bought but i won't lie the freewheel that comes with the kit isnt the best in the world. Again i haven't had any issues with mine and its seems alright other than it doesn't run that true. Anyways long story short. I bought a cyclone freewheel from SBP. Not their best freewheel but not their cheapest.

View attachment 86997

This is the freewheel I recieved.

This looks alot more like what I recieved.
I emailed SBP with pictures of what I recieved and was told that I have the cyclone because this has 10 holes. Now do i take it apart to see if it has 4 pawls or 3?
It is a definate upgrade from what I have but its leaving a terrible taste in my mouth.
hmm, looks suspisiusly like the standard freewheel.
i would ask for a refund.

uhohs... yeah I'm skeptical,, it looks like their cheapest FW with the 2nd bolt hole pattern = the 2nd lowest price one. I've read that the HD one is always the fw to go with

edit- they are not hard to deal with. can you call and just say I'm not happy with the quality of the lower end fw's and wanna save for the better ones n just return it?

I did email them with pictures and they assured me this is the cyclone and that it's a manufacturing change. It still seems suspicious to me but I've only heard good things about sbp. The really dont have any reason to lie about it. I guess the only real way to know is to open it up and count the pawls. The freewheel the sent me is definately of higher quality but really want what I paid for. And really if it is a manufacturing change then they should update the website. The internet isnt new anymore. I'm gonna email them back just to double check again cause it sure does look like the standard to me

Someone definitely messed up on your order, see if you can get a partial refund for the difference or an actual cyclone replacement with a postage paid return box. SBP is a great company compared to others on the scene. They should sort you out. Not sure why they responded that way initially.
Edit, agree, open it up and count pawls.

Update

So after a few emails with Jim at SBP he has assured me that there was indeed a manufacturing change and that the newer cyclones look like the standard freewheels. Like I said before what I recieved was of higher quality and it's a tight little unit with excellent freewheeling. It's a definate upgrade from I have. I just suggested that they should update the website to reflect the changes. Customer service was good overall and they responded quickly so I would do business with them again

Update

So after a few emails with Jim at SBP he has assured me that there was indeed a manufacturing change and that the newer cyclones look like the standard freewheels. Like I said before what I recieved was of higher quality and it's a tight little unit with excellent freewheeling. It's a definate upgrade from I have. I just suggested that they should update the website to reflect the changes. Customer service was good overall and they responded quickly so I would do business with them again
Glad it worked out :)

Good news. I've never had a single thing missing except a cheap plastic barb I had to buy at ace for my air filter that connects to the crankcase vent. Didn't even bug them about it. Their stuff is superior to the fleabay kits. I would still open it up to make sure :p.

Last edited:
Back