Spokes upgrade

Vikingimike01

Local time
12:09 AM
Hey forum!

So I had a trash 26" wheel on my bike. My old 50cc 2 stroke's chain tensioner went into the spokes at 30km/h and locked up the wheel, bending 4-5 spokes in the process, and ripped 2. (The sprocket was spoke mounted)

I've had that tire since, and it was out of true, but I still rode. The spokes were 2mm thick.

The guy that fixes stuff at the bike store had a 69cc model. He told me he tried the CNC sprocket adapter that connects to the wheel not the spokes. He told me the middle was getting destroyed just as the spokes.

Long story, the wheel can't be fixed. They ordered a thicker wheel, with stronger rims. And the new spokes will be 3mm thick.
Will it have any improvement? Less bending? Noticable?

The CNC sprocket adapter is a must to not destroy spokes. And you should maybe get a different chain tensioner that mounts better or just not have on at all.

But the cnc adapter will not destroy the middle as long as it is mounted properly.

your spokes didn't fail from being weak, the tensioner ate them - the thicker spokes should be even better, but keep the tensioner tight

For a single speed left side drive the strongest mount is using a rear disk hub and mount the sprocket in place of the disk. The cnc adapter can twist sometimes trashing the spokes, the pineapple spoke mount twists a little if you are putting enough torque in from gear reduction and always seems to bend my spokes over time no matter how well I mount it. I'm moving to a jackshaft kit to power my right side chain and do away with mounting a sprocket where one wasn't meant to be.

But your spokes will still bend with the older adapter.
if spokes are tight, and clutch is used properly, and you don't hit a lot of potholes at 30+mph, your spokes will be OK (even thin ones)

lot of folks might just drive around them rather than thru them

I hate potholes, and my behind hates them too, so I mostly avoid them. Thanks for the info.

My new chain tensioner has 2 different sides, I can't really explain it.

1539260001140.png

I own this one now, never a problem. My problem was, that the frame I have, where the chain tensioner should be, is not just circle shaped, but thins down as it gets closer to the wheel. So the old one had 1 side holding.

Adding to this thread- My speedometer came, as well as my pull start.
The pull start is not starting the bike. I installed it correctly. I can only pull it one full rotation, then it becomes very hard (But still pullable with more force). The bike does not start. And my hands are destroyed. (I'm not a weak city guy, so I'm not sure.

Back