Springer front end and speed?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sometimes a picture is worth a thousand words.

springer.jpg

If mangled parts could talk these might say, "my fork was weak, or where did that pole come from"?!?! I hope you weren't hurt. My next springer will be built around 1 1/8" fork tubes and a triple tree for maximum strength. I agree with a previous writer that the after market setups on a 40 MPH MB is an accident waiting to happen. What's the rest of your story?

Last edited:
re: 1000 words. How about just a sentence, to give us an idea, did the parts damage cause the crash, or did the crash cause the parts damage?

re: Do you have disc brakes that can handle a panic stop when a dog darts out in front of you at 45 MPH?

I HATE dogs! Sometimes the only thing you can do is STEER and try to minimize the possible wreck. Dogs are crazy! Even the "nice" ones!
I don't think they understand that a bike is going to bust them up.

http://www.funnyordie.com/videos/3abc4d9dc3/tour-de-france-dog-from-mkubota1

Dogs?? I havnt had any problems with pups at all. Ive had many people talking on ther cell phone while driving almost take me out a few times!! I wounder did that front end come apart while breaking? Is the problem in those rockers, Maybe some thicker gage steel would make a difference. I still think that a modern down hill fork is the best way to go. I have a set of Marcozzi Bomber forks. The can realy take a beating! I was using the schwinn single spring front end, aswell as a few other riders here. They look realy cool. But the mounting of Brakes is limited. I know of at least 2 guys in the area who's springer forks broke at the lower cross member.They wernt very big, 150-180ibs. I rode around on a set for some time,but felt the forks shift side to side offten. I seemed every time I rode on them I would haveta re-tighten every thing back up.:poop: These Modern trpple tree marcozzi's are bomb proof!!

Hi Skrufryder. You are on the button, the rockers carry a lot of stress on a springer front end. Thats why Harley makes theirs out of 1/2" plate. I made mine out of 1/4" steel plate just to be on the safe side. My push rods are solid steel rods, not tubes, and my mountain bike forks have 1" tubes. I swapped out the axle on my Sun wheel for a 3/8" hardened BMX axle. I designed a Harley-style caliper mount so I could go to a 203mm disc. Hopefully I will never find out how my front holds up to a curb, a dog, or another vehicle!!!

Attachments

• Springer.jpg
    Springer.jpg
    102.2 KB · Views: 515
the only way you can get that speed is to put it in the back of your truck

im hitting 40-45 now but anticipate to hit around 60-70 when i get my shift kit and new modded out motor installed.

HaHa! Wow. I question your horsepower and those speeds.
45 mph on a bicycle is screaming with all moving parts pushed to failure. But hey, a persons gotta have a few
dreams before committing suicide.

Here's a few "G-Force's" for ya..... if you reach your top end.
G_Force.jpg

I'd say it's surely possible. re: 60mph bike. I don't think you will like riding it at those speeds for extended periods though. To each his own, but build heavy if you are going to do that! A couple guys on these boards (One goes by 5-7 Heaven in Hawaii) ride on the fast roads at 50something. Ask them about durability of parts.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back