Sprockets, RPM and power(bands)?

Dokroma

Local time
11:39 AM
Hi,

I saw a comment on a youtube video and I stupidly did not save it. I think it was talking about how going too low of a sprocket size or too high did not let the engine go to a certain RPM or a power band or whatever, I'm not quite sure. All I remember is that I should have saved it because it was very technical information. Can someone explain the relation between sprocket size, RPMs and power for me?

Can someone explain the relation between sprocket size, RPMs and power for me?
I can give ya the simple version of this.

A larger rear sprocket is going to give you better low end, off the line torque, so you will have better get up and go...But lower MPH top end speed.

The smaller rear sprockets give you less low end torque to start off with, (You will be giving it more pedal assist at take off), but will deliver higher top end speed...Higher MPH.

I will leave it up to the real tech wiz's to translate that into RPMs, etc. but thats the simple explaination...lol...DAMIEN

Ps...I use a 36 tooth sprocket on my Zeda 80 that has achieved 47 MPH on a flat run with a little throttle left over, but i travel at my usual 35 MPH and can climb hilles at between 27 to 30 or so MPH if ive had a decent running start at it...My setup is a stock motor setup with no real modifications except tuning the carbie for my altitude of 4500 ft.

Back