Starting over on the GEBE...

So before I get too crazy in my creation I've been considering the front brake situation. The early bikes, if even equiped with front brakes, most had a rod brake configuration (many english roadsters had these far later in years than American bikes) I'm wondering if, for thye sake of the look of this bike If I might just go that direction... And please, PRETTY Please, refrain from discussing the need for front brakes- the orange Whizzer is the first motoredbike I've ever had front brakes on. I am an experienced rider and generally do not run front brakes. I DO NOT recommend this to others as I do believe we need to be safe, but it is my personal decision. :) And this is not to say that I won't do the front drum, just considering the front rod brake option for the sake of historic style...
We shall see, we shall see...

Now that is a great mixture of new and old, and really might work out as a great transitional with what I'm attempting here! Mucho Thanks!!! Excellent... Working on that idea tomorrow at the ol' job place... yeah the more I think about it the more I LIKE it!

Well after a bit of a hiatus, I'm back on the track with the ol' flyer... Details and more pic.s to come as it shapes up!:cool:

Frame work

Well I've just finished doing a bit of brazing work for this project. Alright; I'm using a Huffy MTB diamond frame as the basis of this project. Now as I'm sure you are all well aware, the huffy's work fine as what they are- a low cost everyman's bicycle- but for hardcore motorizing applications these frames do leave a bit to be desired in their construction. Some of the pluses are that the brazing on these frames at the usual connecting points is generally acceptable (I.E. Bottom bracket to chainstays and down tube, headtube to top and down tube, rear stays to seat tube etc.) and the steel tubing is generally of acceptable quality. The problem is the rear dropouts to rear stays- these are pressed in with no real welds to speak of. So when using these frames (I am a fan of Huffy BTW; from their days of pre-war Daytons, through the Huffman years, and into what they are now. I like 'em, they are generally a decent 'department store' bike) I insist upon brazing these connections.
On this particular frame, which I also chose due to it being a bit taller frame than the other diamond frames I had on hand, it also had screw holes for a water bottle cage in the down tube, which would be a disasterous weak point structurally for an engine application. So I brazed these as well for strength. I'll be cutting off the side stand, and brazing in head tube gusset plate tomorrow (I hope) and shall post those when done. After that it's off to the sandblaster, then paint. But for now, here's where I am in the process after the initial mock-up...

Attachments

• Addams Flyer Huffy frame.jpg
    Addams Flyer Huffy frame.jpg
    281.1 KB · Views: 242
  • Addams Flyer frame braze1.jpg
    Addams Flyer frame braze1.jpg
    203.6 KB · Views: 234
  • Addams Flyer frame braze2.jpg
    Addams Flyer frame braze2.jpg
    283.6 KB · Views: 264
Last edited by a moderator:
looking good riff! just got a tandem to do a golden eagle build on! rock on crouton!!

Tail lamp done, Tank 95% done

I've finished the construction of the 12v tail lamp assy, for this beast, and the tank and mounting hardware is nearly finished- I'm waiting on the custom filler cap to be turned, and I still need to get my clear tubing for the fuel sight gauge. I'll post some pic.s tomorrow.

Here's the latest pic.s

Well I'm pretty pleased with how well these details are coming off on this current project. And I'm having a lot of fun...

Attachments

• Addams Flyer Tail lamp1.jpg
    Addams Flyer Tail lamp1.jpg
    142.5 KB · Views: 213
  • Addams Flyer Tail lamp2.jpg
    Addams Flyer Tail lamp2.jpg
    156 KB · Views: 214
  • Addams Flyer Tail lamp3.jpg
    Addams Flyer Tail lamp3.jpg
    150.8 KB · Views: 225
  • Addams flyer getting closer.jpg
    Addams flyer getting closer.jpg
    217.9 KB · Views: 222
  • Addams Flyer Tank, fuel bowl.jpg
    Addams Flyer Tank, fuel bowl.jpg
    206.2 KB · Views: 223
  • Addams Flyer Tank Caps and plugs.jpg
    Addams Flyer Tank Caps and plugs.jpg
    188 KB · Views: 216
I think you need to "antique" those screws on your tail light lens. Or maybe just smear some grease on 'em. What color is the frame going to be? I appologise if that's something that you mentioned in an earlier post. This bike is going to look way cool. Attention to detail = good looking bike.

That lamp is cool---you need some jewles in the sides.Go to a store like Hobby-Lobby and buy a bag of those diamond cut jewles with the mirror backing---scrape off the mirror finish --drill some holes in the side--use a drimmel etc---you figure it out---they look really cool---sam

Back