Starting over

...going at 3 to 4 times the speed of our motorised bikes versus just pedaling
Off topic: I always object to the notion that motorized bikes are going so much faster than a pedaled bicycle. I am not an olympian or a tour de france wunderkind but I have topped out at 27 mph sprinting in the flats and can maintain 20-22 mph on that same road. Without pushing myself I average a good 10-11 mph, mind you that average speeds are just that: an average across varying terrain and obstacles to navigate.

I will give you this: I am a relatively fit young man but I am a food 15 lbs overweight I smoke on occasion and have athletes asthma. The average speed of a motorized bike is a good bit higher but an average person with reasonable training can put out some good power My gut says 250 watts to 350 watts in a sprint but I haven't done a scientific study on it.

These engines and cyclists both have problems staying cool though. You will see me taking a breather and drinking what feels like a whole gallon of water every so often.

Keep in mind that I built mine around three years ago before the prices went through the roof due to "Bidenomics" etc. etc...lol.

At current prices to do it the way I did would cost approx. $1100.00 in US currency...When I first built it, It ran me around 800 bucks.

Sometime back, I was offered $2200.00 in cash, on the spot, by someone that stopped me at the store, saw the bike up close and personal, and wanted to buy it from me right there and then...I declined the offer of course...lol.

So what if I can’t afford buying mag wheels and tires and tubes. Should I just forget about building a bike?
The wheels that come stock aren't too bad with what I linked. Just from the website I know the wheels are laced triple cross and use double walled rims; the more you cross spokes the stronger the wheel will be. Now the hubs only have 32 spokes and that will cause trouble with rag joints but I have a theory on how to use the fixed side of the flip flop hub to mount a sprocket for the engine side but I need to see research to see if some ebike builders had any luck with what I have in mind.

Sometime back, I was offered $2200.00 in cash, on the spot, by someone that stopped me at the store, saw the bike up close and personal, and wanted to buy it from me right there and then...I declined the offer of course...lol.
You just can't sell your baby. Or maybe the relation is like a cowboy and his horse? I've only built one bike and I disassembled it to build another but I can't imagine selling a build after all the love I put into dreaming it up and putting it together.

I always object to the notion that motorized bikes are going so much faster than a pedaled bicycle. I am not an olympian or a tour de france wunderkind but I have topped out at 27 mph sprinting in the flats and can maintain 20-22 mph on that same road. Without pushing myself I average a good 10-11 mph, mind you that average speeds are just that: an average across varying terrain and obstacles to navigate
I am riding a bike that has a very fast and powerful Phantom 85 on it, and I run mag wheels, disk brakes, self sealing double thick tubes and Kevlar tires...My average cruising speed IS 30 to 35 MPH at mostly all times according to the bikes computer as well as speedo confirmed by roadside radar flashers, unless of course if I am on White Sands Blvd. where the speed limit is 45 MPH which I do to keep up with traffic and not slow others down since I do exercise "lane control" so please do not object to the notion too strenuously about my going much faster than a pedal bike...lol...lol.

These are not only my averages, but others here ride similarly to me as well.

I am a relatively fit young man but I am a food 15 lbs overweight I smoke on occasion and have athletes asthma
I am also 68 years old, weigh at least 217 pounds, with rhuematoid arthritis, congestive heart failure, hypertensive heart failure, rhuematic heart disease, asthma, and also suffer periodic episodes of traveling blood clots and the occasional TIA mini strokes that have also been seen as the cause of my "wet eye" macular degeneration which I am presently being treated with direct injections into the eyeball to try to halt its progression and save my eyesight...If I can do this with all this going on and considering I was told I wouldn't live past 40, my bike and I are doing very well indeed...I am blessed...lol.

You can believe the stats that I am reporting that my "motorized bikes are going so much faster than a pedaled bicycle."...lol...lol.

So what if I can’t afford buying mag wheels and tires and tubes. Should I just forget about building a bike?
With what I linked, a clamshell adapter and an arch tensioner just incase you have clearance issues with the chain it shouldn't run you more than $400 all brand new: $250 for the bike, $26 for an arch tensioner, $42 and the clamshell adapter. (Budget the rest of the remaining or sales tax and shipping.) In mid Missouri a similar bike used with loose ball bearings in the wheels and a threaded headset is around $100 with some haggling possible.

https://www.mmbikeparts.com/Sprocket-Adapter-only-p/a-cb110l-only.htm
I would measure the hub diameter and figure what bushings would be required.

With what I linked, a clamshell adapter and an arch tensioner just incase you have clearance issues with the chain it shouldn't run you more than $400 all brand new: $250 for the bike, $26 for an arch tensioner, $42 and the clamshell adapter. (Budget the rest of the remaining or sales tax and shipping.) In mid Missouri a similar bike used with loose ball bearings in the wheels and a threaded headset is around $100 with some haggling possible.

https://www.mmbikeparts.com/Sprocket-Adapter-only-p/a-cb110l-only.htm
I would measure the hub diameter and figure what bushings would be required.
You forgot the price of the motor along with it...lol.

These are not only my averages, but others here ride similarly to me as well... You can believe the stats that I am reporting that my "motorized bikes are going so much faster than a pedaled bicycle."...lol...lol.
Different strokes for different folks. I just think healthy (relatively anyway) young men shouldn't be pushing motorized bikes faster than they could pedal a decent hybrid or road bike. You gotta have the stupid beat out of you, that's just part growing up, boys and girls, but I'd prefer people to die old and happy rather than young and in pain.

Different strokes for different folks. I just think healthy (relatively anyway) young men shouldn't be pushing motorized bikes faster than they could pedal a decent hybrid or road bike. You gotta have the stupid beat out of you, that's just part growing up, boys and girls, but I'd prefer people to die old and happy rather than young and in pain.
And thats exactly the reason mine is built the way it is...Safety first, speed and power is secondary, I just happen to have incorporated both in one package...After I retired from police work, I was an ASE certified master mechanic for a little over 20 years whilst also working for Valvoline's garage systems in a supervisory capacity...The mechanics in all the different garages I walked into on a daily basis were always astounded seeing me walk in, not in a suit and tie, but dressed the same as they were with my sleeves rolled up and diving in to service the cars the same as them...They were not used to an "office guy" willing to get his hands dirty and then buy them all pizza or tacos for lunch break...lol.

So I really, really, DO know how to build a bike...lol.

Back